drill bits getting dull

Dave,

I opted to do the facet thing to keep it simple. Yes, you can create the clearance with one blended curve, but it's harder to do and I wanted to keep this video as basic as possible.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I reread you post and should have realized you were the one who made the video. Much thanks!

The facets are definitely easier. I just found a bit with facets, although most are curved continuously. Yes, It would definitely make things much more simple.

This thread has been a big help. Hopefully there are other beginners out there who might benefit from this.

Dave

I just realized that the last part of the video dealing with the chisel point was cut off so I deleted the video and am reloading it. As soon as it's up, I'll edit the thread and update the link.

Tom

Thanks, Tom, it's definitely worthy of watching again! Your efforts are greatly appreciated. The closeups are really good, as is the lighting.

Just to throw a few points to the mix:

I've used a drill dr. (back way), and found it's clamping mechanism lacking, also once the wheel starts to wear off (fairly quickly if you ask me) it starts to produce questionable results - looks great in the demos, and feels good the first week using it. but that doesn't last. then you go into replacing wheels and parts and its $$$.

On the other hand, sharpening by hand develops skills that stick with you long term. you never end up getting stuck cause you need a replacement part for your grinder that isn't available locally, and you are not limited by the size of bits you can sharpen.

Hi Sharon, thanks for your insights.

I had one other thought. If you went ahead a ground your bit, but were off, just a few thous or so (very very minor) in the balance of the 2 sides, you could actually create a bit that makes a slightly bigger hole. For instance if you had fractional bits but were lacking lettered or numbered bits, this might get you in the ballpark range for, say, following up with a tap for a hole you just don't have the bit for.

A second thought I had. You could maybe grind a bit and using a brand new bit, make a hole with each bit and see how close your ground bit came to the new bit. That way, you could sort of measure your bit grinding skills against a baseline.

OK, watched video again. Definitely a keeper! Thinning the web is something I didn't know about and will add to my sharpening habits.

BTW, what's the smallest size drill you sharpen? I imagine a magnifier helps when you get below around 1/4"

OK, watched video again. Definitely a keeper! Thinning the web is something I didn't know about and will add to my sharpening habits.

BTW, what's the smallest size drill you sharpen? I imagine a magnifier helps when you get below around 1/4"

Thanks Dave, I'm glad it was useful to you. The last 2 minutes were cut off from the video on the first upload, but after four tries YouTube finally got it right.

Twenty years ago I could sharpen a 1/16" drill without magnification, now 1/2" is about my limit. ;) The old eyes just ain't what they used to be.

Keep practicing.

Tom

Thanks for sharing drill bit sharpening via your video Tom. Very informative and helpful.

David

Thanks for sharing drill bit sharpening via your video Tom. Very informative and helpful.

David

No problem David. It's not viral material, but hopefully it will help a few people improve their hand grinding skills.

Tom

Back