Drill Bit Sharpening Questions

For years I tried to get the extra mile out of drills. Once I got a fast easy sharpener I now do the following: keep drills razor sharp, don't wait to sharpen and check with a 10x magnifier.

An amazing difference in work quality and speed. I try to not score the shaft but if I do I turn it down a tenth or 2 to minimize runout.

Go ahead and modify your drills any way you like. Do one drill and see how it performs before doing all the others. Consider a 4 facet grind. It is simpler to do than a split point.

I try to not score the shaft but if I do I turn it down a tenth or 2 to minimize runout.

Are the shafts hardened? Do they need to be ground or can they be cut with HSS?

I've been touching up any score marks on the shafts on my bench grinder.

Are the shafts hardened? Do they need to be ground or can they be cut with HSS?

I've been touching up any score marks on the shafts on my bench grinder.
Only the cutting section is hard.

I got my DD 750X and tried sharpening a few 118* bits. It's easy to use if you follow the instructions and watch a YT video or two.

Overall, it seems to do a good job of grinding the end, but the cutting edge looks a little jagged. I'm assuming this is because the grinding wheel is new and I will get a finer finish with use? I have to try and use it. I think those jagged edges will still cut fine.

IMG_5726.jpg

I think it's the grinding wheel. It's a fairly coarse diamond wheel in a metal matrix, so that's probably what you're seeing. Hopefully it settles down.

After looking closer at this and playing with it a bit, it seems like they were burrs. I need to work with it a bit more, but I think you're correct. The grinding wheel is a bit coarse.

Back