Drawing Software

I earlier said that I wanted to learn Blender again... and I did. I am now able to make simple stuff and still learning. I am much more comfortable with it now. To make things even more interesting, I got my kids learning them with me. They all are doing well. The youngest is 1st grader. I think the keys are practice, practice and practice. Doing that, icons, keyboard shortcuts and ideas imprints in the brain and you'll get used to them.

I would suggest go ahead and find the easiest lessons and keep going at it. Don't hit any hard. For example, we learned how to add material/texture to a ball, move, rotate, change dimension of a cube, add lighting, extrude, bevel, insets, make a treasure chest. Today, we were learning to make a donut and some of the steps appear a bit hard to follow. But we managed.

I think my prior failure was due to I watched few videos, told myself it was doable, then went and do it myself on my own project and failed.

It appears learning these things is like learning a new language or a musical instrument, you just have to keep going at it and at a pace that suite you the most.

Hopefully this helps.

The way I settled on Solidworks was by modeling three parts/assemblies in three software suites by following a book by Prof. Sham Tickoo (amazon link to book) while I had some useable time on my hands back in 2004. I modeled the same three parts in each suite, Mechsoft Pro/E, Autodesk Inventor, and Solidworks. Each part could be built nearly the same, regardless of software, so the difference would be in the user experience. I found that I preferred Solidworks. Maybe if I had lots of early Autocad experience I would have liked Inventor, but having not spent time with the ecosystem leading up to my trial, I found it didn't suit me. Anyhow, this was an eye opening process for me. Of course, you'll need to acquire software, but there are a number of options for home users, trial copies, academic licenses, and dark arts methods available to make a trial run possible. A university library or community college computer lab may offer access as well.

I'm using AutoCad 2018 It's a free student version it's fully functional in all respects. Just go to AutoCad and download the student version. I'm no student but I registered as one. no problems so far. I believe its a 5 year license

I also use my drafting table and tools cuz I like to................... :grin:
I did download Freecad a while back but am still intimidated by it.......... :frown:

I have worked with AutoCad since version 6 I think? With limited access to the internet I like the stand alone software - been using NanoCad as was mentioned a bit back. Seems to work fine and very similar to the 2000's version of AutoCad....a bit cruder I guess in some ways but it seems to work and I have opened and worked on ACAD drawings from the latest ACAD using it?

Mostly I use a pencil and graph paper though.....

I would be quite comfortable with Pencil and paper for 2D drawings although I do like Autocad even for 2D. However, if you ever want to use a 3D Printer you will have to design the part in a 3D drawing tool. Also now, if the part is even the least bit complex, I tend to draw it in 3D to allow better visualization. The best drawing software is the one that you spend enough time practicing with.

For those who insist on working with an AutoCad-like cad package, https://nanocad.com/products/nanoCAD/download/

My ACAD license expired and I am having some problems getting it to renew. While the drawings will import into Fusion 360, there are times that I like AutoCAD simply because I have been using it for many years, especially for simple stuff. I am slowly learning Fusion 360, I have the CAM functions pretty well figured out, but having a hard time getting my head around 3D modeling..

I installed nanoCAD yesterday and was pleasantly surprised, for all practical purposes it is AutoCAD. I was making drawings in about 5 minutes, all of the normal AutoCAD functions are there and it has the same look & feel of AutoCAD and in some cases is easier to navigate. I was able to import my AutoCAD 2013 dwg files with no problem. I only played with it for about 15 minutes, but so far I'm impressed.

I use nanoCAD for minor/simple things, I like it mostly. I was really sad that Draftsight stopped having a free option, it was identical to AutoCAD. NanoCAD’s scaling/dimensioning in paper space is kludgy at best - still don’t comprehend it fully.
All that said, I’ve pretty well transitioned completely to Solidworks. The longer I use it, the faster it gets so I end up modeling even the simple stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say, my Draftsight has not died yet, but I am sure to be on borrowed time.

I just installed nanocad, looks like a GREAT option. thanks for sharing this.

Karl

Back