down right disgusting

I DO NOT APPROVE of their....
John

I do agree with you. My saw was bought before all this battle was raging. I doubt I would buy it today because I don't like this kind of tactics and would have likely ended up with a Powermatic had this dishonest manipulation of law been going on back then. I've heard the SawStop inventor owner is a patent lawyer.

Dave

I forget to add a thing about the safety method I use with my bench bandsaw (I'm still a bit scared of it).
I plugged it into a power strip with a switch, and I can turn it off with a foot: no need to look for the small Big Red Button on the frame of the saw and to move the hands to push it.
I'm thinking to apply a "stop on release" (a.k.a. "dead man's switch") foot push button, like those used on trains, because it is even faster.
The "on" button is driven by a relais, so if I cut the power before the saw plug I don't find it turned on when I restore the power.
I guess on a rotating saw it would be possible, if not yet done, to add a brake like those used by bicycles, with felts pressing on both sides of the blade to stop it faster when the power is cut off: a couple of solenoids can take care of this.
You can use this suggestion for free: I'm not a greedy patent lawyer!

Wikipedia has more about the dead man's switch: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man_switch

I'm not a big fan of patenting. While I can see how someone may feel that they have a right to benefits from their "intellectual property", I don't think they should be able to hold their fellow humans to ransom for something that is inherent in physics.
We all have a creative capability given to us by our Creator or mother nature or the genes of our predecessors (whatever anyone believes), why not just give it back to the world that sustains you or birthed you.
Humanity should set up a reward scheme for innovation and invention to acknowledge such individuals. Holding the benefits back unless payment is made only stifles the progress of humanity.
Why can't we all just be like Benjamin Franklin.
I dare say that it is because we are moving in a direction that places a higher value on money than our body parts.

This post is in no way intended to dissent Mr. Gass and what I think is a wonderful idea.
In fact I think that what he has developed is worth far more than the saw manufacturers will ever be able to give him.

Whilst we cannot afford it, the SawStop should remain an option. Play safe.

There are times when I am glad I'm as old as I am. I will just keep using my 1964 Clausing. They are banning everything I like anyway in the way of materials. Who gets it all? The Japanese and Chinese. No bans there.

Sheesh... I just got around to catching-up on this thread and watched a video about that saw blade brake. Well, it might just save your fingers but, it'd probably give me a heart attack.

I dunno guys, I just don't know what to think about some of the things going on these days. It's always good to try and improve things and make safer, better products but some things are going a little too far. I knew we took a wrong turn somewhere when they started stamping product warnings on gun barrels. :nuts: Helllooo, any sign of intelligence here? :dunno:

I think the patients are running the infirm asylum.

EDIT: It occurs to me that every morning, I shave with a 100 year old straight razor. I bet some product safety pencil neck is wetting his pants worrying about me... Good, I hope it drives him nuts.

Ray

It is pathetic when every single product has to have stupid warnings. Even a bag of dog food says that detergent will make your pet sick. Lawyers have made everyone to be treated like idiots due to silly law suits.

Ray,you'll have to dig them up to sue them if you cut yourself!!!:)

I've no particular opinion about this case, but I would caution against drawing too many conclusions about these liability cases without knowing all the facts. A couple of good examples on this thread

- the McDonalds coffee suit was because the coffee was being served at dangerous temperatures (>80C) which McDonalds knew could cause burns because it had received more than 500 complaints of burns (and settled lawsuits) from hot coffee in the decade prior to the case in question. The plaintiff sued for medical costs for her 3rd degree burns and the judge awarded the extra punitive damages (subsequently reduced) due to McDonalds knowing that it's coffee temperature could cause burns, serving it over 10C hotter than most other restaurants and having failed to reduce its coffee temperature after 100s of complaints and injuries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald's_Restaurants

- American football brain injuries. This one is particularly egregious - the NFL has known for years that it's players have been suffering repetitive concussions, often in the same match after they're allowed to return to the field after their first concussion, leading in many documented cases to chronic traumatic encephalopathy, depression and suicide, yet it has done nothing to improve either safety equipment (current helmet technology is 20+ years old) or medical response to head trauma. The very fact that Junior Seau killed himself by shooting himself in the chest so that his brain could be examined for CTE (he had it) should be a pretty strong hint that something very bad is going on with NFL and even college and high school football (youngest football-caused CTE sufferer is 17 years old).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy

I'm all for taking responsibility for your own mistakes and not doing stupid things, but there are plenty of cases (heavy ignition keys, anyone?) where the injured parties aren't at fault (or their injuries may otherwise have been less severe) due to gross negligence of the manufacturer/ employer etc. You're all smart people, base your opinions on the facts rather than hyperbole so you can distinguish between the truly stupid (disabling the safety on a nail gun and then getting a nail in the head) and the not (see above).

football player or not if you think you are not going to injure your brain smacking it into things you have already smacked it into things

football player or not if you think you are not going to injure your brain smacking it into things you have already smacked it into things

Now that's funny...

John

- - - Updated - - -

It is pathetic when every single product has to have stupid warnings. Even a bag of dog food says that detergent will make your pet sick. Lawyers have made everyone to be treated like idiots due to silly law suits.

Ray,you'll have to dig them up to sue them if you cut yourself!!!:)

True. Very true. I have a chainsaw that has a manual with like 6 pages of instructions and 8 pages of warnings. One, believe it or not, goes something like don't attempt to stop the chain with genitals. Really? I'd love to hear the background story on that one.

Another warning is to use the chainsaw while holding the handle not the blade. Do tell!

John

Back