Double Lead 12-28 Thread Question

That said, if the need is great enough to overcome the challenges, a shop made tap and die are possible. It would involr machining and hardening and tempering to produce a cutting tool. It the material to be threaded is softer as in brass or aluminum, you could get by without the hardening and tempering for limited use.

That’s a very fine thread for a double start/lead imho
That may be, but you see these or similar sets of threads on depth adjustment posts used in several different block planes. The one I am working on is from an Ohio O220 block plane made around 1910. Best I can tell, using a pitch gauge, the larger threads are 1/4-28 the smaller are 3/16-28. The 3/16 threads appear to be double start. I have already come up with a fix for the plane I am working on, using a 12-20 as the smaller and 1/4-28 at the top. I get just enough movement for the mechanism to work but was looking for a faster thread at the bottom for future fixes. (BTW I know 12-20 is unusual but I have the taps and dies for those. Attached is the component. The smaller threads are too worn to hold

Attachments

• IMG_8155.jpeg
    IMG_8155.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 31
That said, if the need is great enough to overcome the challenges, a shop made tap and die are possible. It would involr machining and hardening and tempering to produce a cutting tool. It the material to be threaded is softer as in brass or aluminum, you could get by without the hardening and tempering for limited use.
See my reply to Janderso. I show the part that has the original threads

I don't think the need is great enough. These block planes are not worth all that much. I also don't normally work on planes that size. I was just hoping for a tap and die solution for the rare need.

A double start thread requires a double start tap and die. The thread depth of the double start differs from that of a single start so even though you could in theory cut a double start thread by clocking the tap or die 180º out of phase witha second thread, the thread geometry would be wrong and unusable.
The thread depth stays the same whatever the number of starts, just the lead angle differs.
Starting a standard tap or die 180 degrees out of phase will not produce a double start thread as the lead is wrong.

Back