Don't Have 3\4 Aluminum Plate. So We Make It

tincture500

Registered
Registered
As an amature hobbist in machinery and the quest to make my own tools, I am making a sissor knurling tool. Needing 3\4 " aluminum plate I only had 3\8" plate. What to do!

I epoxied two 3\8" together.... epoxy spread evenly over the surfaces, clamped in a strong vice. ---. Wall-la! 3\4" as needed. Not ideal, however unless exposed to high heat, this should work. Thoughts. Tom

Usually there is a bolt and nut that are tightened hard pushing the knurling rollers into the work. That could be a weak point if you drill the hole for that in the seam of the two halves. Maybe use a smaller bolt and just put it through one 3/8 inch piece to the lower one. Or do something to bolster the two halves at that point where the bolt goes through like screws into the halves front and back of where the bolt goes through. Same with where the knurling wheels go with the split metal you need to have something keeping it from splitting.

Could make it work but you might look into getting some half inch steel with the high pressures needed. speedy metals or another online site would have what you need for a few dollars.

Without knowing the shear strength of your epoxy, which i'd imagine is not declared anywhere without an equally controlled process, it's a gamble.

It might pass the 'vise test', but there's a lot different dynamic of forces going on when you start knurling. Heck, there's going to be quite the dynamic forces just making the tool, let alone *using* it.

What I'd be keen to do is just as you've done. Make up the plate. Cut out the scissor arms. Then I'd revisit the arms (if the lamination was still holding) with some kind of pins. Rivets. Dowels. Even hi-loks. Not bolts, where you'd be bearing on threads, but pins or shafts. That would keep the layers from sliding (shear) against each other.

Then you'd have a much better chance of it lasting, IMO.

Wrat

I wont speak to the extreme tool stress produced in knurling.
However, I'm wondering if there would be any value drilling, threading, and counter boring for some hex cap screws?

However, I'd probably chamfer the edges and TIG it weld it.

Daryl
MN

I'm very interested in how this turns out. I vote that you build as intended and let us know how it turns out.

I don't know what specific epoxy was used but their use in aeronautics is well proven.

The Epoxy is the finest quality harbor freight produces. I also have concerns as to the fragilities of the squeeze out I scraped off the edges to mark the layout lines for cut out on the band saw. If this is a problem I'll deal with it. The body structure I believe will be fine, but some concern as the the arms that hold the knurl wheels.
The Tig idea is a great suggestion, but no have that either. I may , if needed add some dome head screws . Regardless the aluminum is easy to work with my HF mill and 8x16 grizzly lathe. The DIY experience is well worth the efforts for learn,n in Kentucky. I have also made a ball turning jig. I may give this to the wife for the 50th anniversary.

There are many parts of a automobile that are held together with adhesives these days. Chemistry has come a long way since superglue. There are some really strong bonding agents. I'd be more concerned about making it out of aluminum in the first place than finding and using a suitable glue. Certainly., additional mechanical reinforcement, whether nuts and bolts, or pins, would have to enhance the assembly though as far as the adhesive goes.

You haven't shared your design but if you are laminating the plate to make it more rigid in the transverse direction, it may work for you. Several strategically placed fasteners to tie the two plates together will help greatly. The epoxy bond will certainly help controlling shear forces.

The ratchet and pawl on my 4T. come-along are both made from 1/8"steel laminations, held together with rivets.

Why go through all the work, time, money, etc to make it out of laminated 3/8” aluminum. When you will always be up against your project having the big WHAT IF when you go to use it. I would make it out of the proper material to begin with. Can’t be that much if you had to buy it. Or, if you posted a request on this site maybe someone would donate some material. And there are many grades of aluminum, some very soft. Do you know what type you have? Or is it more like a mystery metal? Then that would be a bad start for this kind of project. What costs more? The epoxy or the correct material? But you are thinking outside the box, that’s a good thing, you can do this…good luck, Dave.

I like the way you think Tom. Use what you have on hand. I have no idea if it will hold up but I would give it a shot.
When I needed a 3/4" aluminum plate for my angle plate for my mill I went thru all my aluminum and didn't have what I needed but had a lot of scraps.So I just melted them and did a lost foam casting. It was a lot more work.

Back