Donating machinery to a kid

I got started from my neighbor. he gave me a mic, calipers, surface gauge, and some other tools that an old machinist gave him when he was a kid, he told us the story and wanted us to have it because he couldn't find anyone young who wanted to make something. at the time I was watching TOT and wanted some metalworking tools. fast forward over a year to now, I have 3 Gerstner's, 3 Kennedys, and 1 union tool chest, and a lot of tools. he helped us find a lathe and it was from his friend. we bought a lathe and he has a BP mill that he wants to sell to us too now. he and his friends don't know any 13 years old other than me and my twin brother who likes machines. my dad did woodworking with us when we were 7. now he has a reason to build a shop. part wood part metal, and now my neighbor has jobs for us to make for him because he only has CNC and manual mills. I plan to do this for a job because I enjoy it, but my mom hates metal chips in the house so cleaning is a must-have every use until the shop is built. I would donate it to someone in the shop class.

If you are involved in a church, many churches have youth groups and a system of teaching skills like woodworking, electrical soldering, etc... Some have equipment in project rooms. Could see if one of those programs could use the equipment to help teach the kids.

I took a little different tack than most. I had a Craftsman lathe that I'd originally refurbished for my nephews. Unfortunately mom and dad decided they were still too young to be introduced to tools that could potentially harm them.

I really didn't have room in the shop for a 3rd lathe so I advertised it on our local Craigslist as a machine for those who would be interested in starting the hobby. I put what I thought was an excessive price on it and got several calls. Each time someone came to look at it I essentially did an assessment as to how interested they seemed to be in the machine, and asked a number of questions about their experience.

Several weren't interested, or seemed more interested in reselling it, and some showed a keen interest even though the price was high. I told each one that made an offer that someone else had offered more, but if the deal fell through I would contact them. In the end there were about 3 young people that showed what i thought was sufficient interest that they would actually use the machine. I called one back to see if he had found another machine. When the answer was no, I made a counter offer. He accepted and made arrangements to pick up the machine.

When he arrived I told him he could have the machine for no charge. He was more than surprised and thanked me for the opportunity to delve into a new hobby without having to spend a ton of money.

As a side note I took this course because in the past I'd advertised a few machines as "free to a good home". All I attracted were the scrappers and hounds that intended to flip them for a profit. I spent over a month explaining the machines were no longer available even though the add was removed within 24 hours of the initial posting.

If you have a local First Robotics team at the high school you WILL have a reservoir of kids that will both know what to do with one and be interested!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Donating it to a local school might be a good way to go as well. I know may schools in my area that would put it to good use and a lot of kids could be exposed to it instead of just one.

Back