Donating machinery to a kid

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I'm interested in donating my micro mill and lathe to a young machinist. Somebody that couldn't afford anything.
It would include all the accessories to get started.
Where would I find such individuals?
The only thing I've thought of is talking to my local high school shop teacher.
Would there be any liability issues I'd have to worry about?
As usual any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Not sure where to find the person you're looking for but I applaud your generosity. Good for you!
Thank you. I'm not looking for that applause though. I am fortunate to be able to finally be able to afford the bigger boy, (hobbyist), machinery and so I no longer need or want my "toy" machinery. I could sell it all and maybe get a brand new mediocre rotary table for it but it would be better served as a great learning experience for some younger and poorer kid. Plus, I worry that this country is losing skilled machinists. We're going to want them one day. I understand the real world is all CNC these days but I feel learning the manual way is greatly fundamental. Some kid would benefit from it but where do you find them?

I sponsored a small bursary for woodworking at my former high school for a number of years. The shop teacher there was very helpful in getting it underway and also preliminary screening of the recipients. Teachers are usually pretty tuned in to their students and who might make the best use of the gift. A school may not want to be associated with the liabilities of the actual gifting, but they still may be good for making the connection.

Are there any maker spaces in your area? If so, maybe visit one a few times and watch who uses them and look for the right person to donate to (without acting too creepy! :) )

I sponsored a small bursary for woodworking at my former high school for a number of years. The shop teacher there was very helpful in getting it underway and also preliminary screening of the recipients. Teachers are usually pretty tuned in to their students and who might make the best use of the gift. A school may not want to be associated with the liabilities of the actual gifting, but they still may be good for making the connecti
Are there any maker spaces in your area? If so, maybe visit one a few times and watch who uses them and look for the right person to donate to (without acting too creepy! :) )
Is that those places where you pay a fee to use their machinery? There may be one but these days it's probably gone out of business.

Most maker spaces have gone out of business these days . There is a supporting member on this site who is trying to get one up and running at this point . You may want to contact him . ( toolmaker 51) I've talked with him on the phone for hours , great guy with a great cause . :)

I’m not a kid but a teenager could you post some pictures of the machines?

Hi All
I'm interested in donating my micro mill and lathe to a young machinist. Somebody that couldn't afford anything.
It would include all the accessories to get started.
Where would I find such individuals?
The only thing I've thought of is talking to my local high school shop teacher.
Would there be any liability issues I'd have to worry about?
As usual any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
I donated a milling machine to a member here, it wasn't difficult to do.
i placed an ad in the Trading Post here on the forum, and it didn't take long
maybe you could emulate the idea, and find a worthy party

FYI, so I contacted the high school shop teacher in my town and he was excited about this and initially said he has a kid that would be a great candidate. However, at the end of the school year the kid is joinging the Army. How is he a good candidate? Anyways, he has other kids in mind. I think I will go this route as I know of no other local way.

Back