Dogmeat cantilever clamp kit

ericc

Active User
Registered
There was a junk swivel chair which needed disassembly before throwing in the the trash. A cut-and-unwrap demonstration at the recent blacksmith conference provided the inspiration. The caster shafts were a little small, so they were upset slightly. Cold shuts were pretty much ignored due to the lack of off-axis stresses. This is a very rough kit. Note that the short arms have been tack welded for gang drilling. There were no cold shuts in the inside of the bends. I wish I could use the term "ghetto". It is so much more descriptive. I miss my dog.

Attachments

• clampkit.jpg
    clampkit.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 90
really skanky looking. I don't think I would trust those at all if you machined them to work.
They just don't have that flat appearance that I would want, leading me to believe that there are stress risers that would snap on first use.

sorry but not something I would use.

I'm not following how it's assembled either, but c'mon: it appears to be for a hand clamp, not a rescue crane.

For all I know, it's just to hold stuff together long enough to tack weld. Heaven knows I've used some janky clamps before for various things, and I didn't want my good clamps anywhere near some of the jobs I've had to do on occasion.

Gives blacksmithing a bad name.
Uh-oh. Criticism from a fellow blacksmith. Is there anything seriously wrong with these forgings? I have identified one area of correction: the pivot boss might be kind of thin on the inside of the bend, but this was really challenging to get right. I already know how to do a 90 degree sharp corner, but that isn't enough. I think that the only way to make this feature is to start with a banana shape and forge out the inside of the bend after bending, then separately draw out and cut off the legs.

Uh-oh. Criticism from a fellow blacksmith. Is there anything seriously wrong with these forgings? I have identified one area of correction: the pivot boss might be kind of thin on the inside of the bend, but this was really challenging to get right. I already know how to do a 90 degree sharp corner, but that isn't enough. I think that the only way to make this feature is to start with a banana shape and forge out the inside of the bend after bending, then separately draw out and cut off the legs.
Most folks would endeavor to end up with a smoothly finished forging with regularly finished form features and each looking like the other.

Ouch, so many negative replies!

I say drill (or hot punch) some holes assemble those things and try it!

Sure I'd start small, like using them for quick glue-ups or holding things for tack welding, not holding your truck suspension together.

We all gotta learn somehow...and when you see if and how they fail you'll know better for next time.
I do a lot of learning that way.

-brino

Back