Does This Machine Look Exactly Like The Pm 1127vf?

Hey I can get you that RML-1440V for $10,000 less than they are quoting you, are you sure thats not in the price range? (just joking, much more machine than you need I am sure!)

A Matt sighting on Hobby-machinist!

Must be that rare day that you finally got everything unstacked and shipped out!

Yup. I think his popularity from top notch customer service is really cutting into his free time. LOL I bet he has a nightmare trying to get any free time with the orders he gets non stop. I read his name on pretty much every machining forum I have visited. The only negatives I ever read about his shop is the delivery times (which doesn't affect me at all). I'm getting a lathe purely for hobby / education and have been waiting for well over a year to get the money and time to place an order. So a month or two wait won't bother me in the least (even if it ends up being a longer wait I won't care). But hearing the quality of his machines (especially in relation to his prices) I'm happy to wait a little longer to get a decent machine for my budget.

Oh, and a happy side note. I am glad I paid for the machine in full today. My wife got home and said, "I was thinking about that money "we" have in the bank". I simply told her my lathe was paid for and the money is gone. That ended the discusion and I get my lathe still. :D But she is happy because she got a new Equinox to drive. So happy her happy me. ;) All I have to do now is save up for a QCTP to add to the machine later and a few other odds n ends I want to get. But at least I have the basic machine paid for finally.

Yup. The life of a married man. Sad thing is I started with enough saved up to get the 1127 easily (possibly the 1236). But "unexpected" things came up and my savings started to dwindle quickly. LOL Between the car and the little guy needing his toys I was left with enough to get the 1030. I'll see if I can swing the QCTP from Matt before the machine arrives, but I have to make sure those unexpected things stop appearing. Like the new remote car starter yesterday. LOL The new car had to have that also. But at least my lathe will be paid for with cash so no monthly payments or crazy interest rates from financing. Plus the wife did admit once the car is paid off we will be banking money for what ever dream lathe I want. So that RML 1440V will be mine one day. Most likely in about 20 years. LOL But at least Once I have the lathe in my garage I can start the painfull process of tooling it up and saving for the mill. LOL Tools just never end at my house. Being a carpenter by trade I have tons of wood tools. Now adding metal working tools to the mix our garage is getting smaller and smaller by the year. ;)

Yup. The life of a married man. Sad thing is I started with enough saved up to get the 1127 easily (possibly the 1236). But "unexpected" things came up and my savings started to dwindle quickly. LOL Between the car and the little guy needing his toys I was left with enough to get the 1030. I'll see if I can swing the QCTP from Matt before the machine arrives, but I have to make sure those unexpected things stop appearing. Like the new remote car starter yesterday. LOL The new car had to have that also. But at least my lathe will be paid for with cash so no monthly payments or crazy interest rates from financing. Plus the wife did admit once the car is paid off we will be banking money for what ever dream lathe I want. So that RML 1440V will be mine one day. Most likely in about 20 years. LOL But at least Once I have the lathe in my garage I can start the painfull process of tooling it up and saving for the mill. LOL Tools just never end at my house. Being a carpenter by trade I have tons of wood tools. Now adding metal working tools to the mix our garage is getting smaller and smaller by the year. ;)

I understand, really. My 1340GT cost me a new car for the wife as well. :rolleyes:

It's all good though, and I still may end up with three tons of mill and lathe in my garage, but not until I do the final move at retirement time.

If you are just getting into metal working you still have to tool up this new lathe of yours. And make space for it. Have fun. :)

...I still may end up with three tons of mill and lathe in my garage, but not until I do the final move at retirement time.
I did my "final retirement move" two years ago, and started buying the bigger machines that I have avoided for the past 20 years (prior life in military meant a move every 2-3 years, which is a PIA with heavy iron... although my last move had one 26' u-haul with nothing in it but tools and machines, and tipped the scales with about 14000# of stuff in it.... a bit overloaded...).

Of course I am not retired yet... gotta get the little ones out of the house first.

LOL Yeah, I'm lucky on the moving part. Been in the same house for 8 or 9 years now. Plus I have one corner in the garage prewired for 220 1 ph or 110. I told my wife when I was building the garage I wanted tools to put in that corner and she agreed. So I have the space and the power, just a lack of tools now. :confused: But now that I finally got my lathe ordered I can finally display something there. I sure would have prefered the 1236, but I'm happy with a 1030 for a starter. And yes I am going to be adding some tooling to the budget as well. I am pretty sure I can swing the QCTP Matt has advertised on his website for the 1030 but I'll wait till closer to the delivery date to pay for that as well.

I will now need to decide what kind of tooling to get and what priority. I was thinking to start off I'd try and make some cone shaped pieces. Hopefully sometyhing simply to learn. My son loves to put party hats on his Thomas trains so some shiny aluminum party hats may be in order. LOL I can make my son happy building stuff for him and wife will see me building something and son is happy and I am happy, so that will make her happy. I win all the way around.

My eventual goal is to try and build some pea shooters. They are used for driving nails into concrete forms. For those interested they can be googled easy enough. But I would need to learn threading, knurling & boring at the very least to make those.

I know I will eventually outgrow the 1030 since I do want to learn as many manual machining skills as possible (I want to learn real machining skills not pushing buttons to do cnc). I know cnc is faster and probably far more accurate but then you don't get to learn the skills that I see in a lot of trades that are being lost. But for now while we pay off the wifes new car I can learn on the 1030 and upgrade in a few years. I did threaten the wife though, and told here if I really get into machining I will have to to get that RML lathe. LOL Her car better last a long long time (unless someone has an RML in new condition they would swap for an equinox). :D

The cheapest way to start is with HSS. Which actually is easier to get a nice cut in Aluminum with than carbide, especially on the size lathe you have.

HSS blanks are about $3 each, and each will give you years of use. I would recommend starting with 3/8" x 3" (PN 383-5824) like the ones you see here from Enco:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=162&PMCTLG=00

The only downside is that you have to learn to grind them... but it is not hard. Here is the first in a three part series... good stuff:

Grinding HSS Lathe Tools - Part 1: Grinding a RH Tool

If you don't want to grind, I still recommend you stick with HSS for now. AR Warner makes HSS indexable tooling (significantly more expensive than HSS blanks):

http://www.arwarnerco.com/c-12-turning.aspx

WOW!! Thanks tmarks11. I am checking out those pages now. I was planning on using blanks like you suggested to start. I think my wife would be a lot happier if I bought blanks over cutting into our "our" money account for the expensive tooling. ;) I will have to watch the videos later but I could sure use some good advice on grinding blanks down for different purposes. I do have a bench grinder already but I will definitely have to get a new wheel on it.

The links are especially helpfull though. Thanks. I'll likely call QMT again or swap some e-mails with the shop when they are free and discuss their QCTP. I know I definitely can't afford an alloris, but the knock offs I should be able to swing and have some money left for the actual blanks I will need. I have not even tried to search for a grinding wheel to shape the blanks but if you have any advice or anyone else does I'd sure love to hear it. Those blanks though sounds about perfect for me. Cheap and should last a long time. I doubt I will start off like a lot of guys do though. I won't be running the tool anywhere remotely close to the chuck. I'll run it a ways away and do what I can to avoid a costly "crash". I hear some noobs (exactly like me) do that. Once I get comfortable with the machine I may get closer but for the first while I am more the cautiously paranoid type. It may not be the ideal way to learn machining, but if it saves me costly repairs I can handel that while I get more comfortable on the controls.

But to all the guys that responded to my post I am gratefull to you all for your input and suggestions. It really does help a new guy out a lot. The best teachers are always the guys with experience. So thanks. :) You are all grately appreciated not only by me but I am sure by the rest of the guys reading these forums while trying to learn the basics also. :):encourage:

Enco has good prices on phase II QCTP,,, especially if you wait for a 20% off coupon, which happens about once a month. Make sure you get the wedge type. Grizzly is another place to look for QCTP. Definitely a must buy.

Back