Does This Look Normal?

I'm thinking that the white debris is from a shattered lamp. Looks like a tight bend of a CFL coil to me. And the position of the lamp housing is right for a smash into the wheel guard. If that table has the drive belt or cable still on it, and someone tried to lift it off, or perish the thought tried to move the grinder by the table, by all means it should be D/A and serviced.

I'd still probably start with a fresh wheel, no matter what.

Turns out a sudden need to leave town for several days prevented me from being able to check it out, so I decided to pass on it.

Went for 2K on auction.

Thank you for the sound advice. Much appreciated.

Take note that MOST grinders the table and saddle are both flat and v ways with no gibs, and they both will lift off with ease.

It definitely looks like the table is off the ways. I would inspect the ways to make sure there is no damage to them. Also check for the racks of ball bearings. Those tables are only held on by gravity and usually a belt that attaches to both ends and goes under a pulley to move the table side to side.

my table is rack and pinion, and is not a ball slide, its V-Flat for both the saddle and table. honestly ive never heard of a grinder that had a belt pulley setup for the traverse feed

some of them do. I have replaced the belts on some. For the life of me I can't remember who made them though. was about 20 or 25 years ago.

The one I have is a belt drive. It fastens to the table via a 2 piece clamp accessible under the mag chuck. For all appearances it seems to be a poly vee belt. No rollers or balls, just plain ways. It tagged "Republic". I don't know if that is related to the Lagun machinery line or not. I wish I had some more information on it, but all I have found is look-alikes on the Net.

Wow that's cool, first I've heard of it, my friends Reid is also rack and pinion, I have a harig, even his cylindrical grinder is rack. It's gotta be somewhat smoother than the rack with the belt drive huh?

Back