Does This Look Normal?

Chip

Active User
Registered
To me it looks like the bed was removed (or busted) and later laid back in place.

kent grinder.jpg

Normal? No. I'd want to inspect the machine, not the photograph before further comment.

+1 on no it does not look normal. I'd would also have to see the machine to say exactly why.

"Billy G"

While the table not in the operating position it isn't necessarily broken either. If the machine has V ways the only thing holding the table to the machine body is gravity. The table can be lifted off the ways to make transportation and/or cleaning easier. I' removed the table and chuck from my grinder when I transported it to the shop. I've also removed it a couple times over the years to clean and oil the ways.

The ways can normally be oiled through 6 oil caps. However over time dust does migrate into the area and will eventually collect the oil channels. Every couple years I remove the table and clean out the channels so oil can flow freely and wear is kept to a minimum.

To make sure everything is properly aligned reset the table on the ways. Then attach a test indicator to the spindle housing with the probe touching the table. Run the table in all directions an check for differences in readings. The dial on the test indicator shouldn't move more than .0001. If there's more movement more investigation is necessary.

If the table is indeed just laying on there loose, you would be able to take the table off and look at the condition of the ways and the works under the table. Many or most surface grinder tables are only held to the machine by gravity, and they lift right off. If it has been crashed into by a fork lift, has fallen over on its side, or something like that is is likely scrap metal. I assume it is for sale and you might be interested, ask the seller what you are looking at before making the drive...

Check table travel flatness in crossfeed and infeed. Mag tables can be ground back in again, slow, very fine incremental depth of cut and with oil is how we did ours. Some had a strap that ran from end to end of the table and under a toothed roller, check the backside of the table, if there used to be a strap drive, I'd be asking questions.

The grinders that I have seen the table just set on. That Kent should have ball ways

Last edited:
Agreed, the table is not in the normal position, but that is not a big deal, as said above, the table just sets on the ways. My question is: What are the white bits of something on the table? Looks like a broken something. If it's for sale, a personal inspection is in order, but for the right price I would drag it home.

If it checks out ok give the wheel a good inspection or consider just changing it out before you fire it up. If the table hit the wheel it may be cracked which could cause it to come apart.

Yeah, kd4gidj is correct, the Kent has either has roller or ball ways. Your probably have lost some of them. Along with that, the guideways that the rollers/balls roll in may have dings that will show up on a work piece when grinding. I believe the Kent grinder is still being manufactured and you should be able to get replacement ball/rollers. While you are at it, pull that grinding wheel and break it in half and finish the job of damaging it! Don't try to reuse it

Back