Does anyone recognize this indicator?

Jake M

Registered
Registered
This is something I got some time ago, for almost nothing. I don't even really have (much) use for it. 0.0001 inch graduations, 0.050 useful range if you zero it at the top. 0.070 absolute max movement. It's huge at 2-3/4 inches across, and it's very, very heavy. by feel, it feels like it's probably 70 percent solid steel Give or take of course. And the mount on the back is at what at first appears to be an awkward angle. Any ideas what that mount might have been used for? I hung on to it because it's marked "The Fellows Gear Shaper Company, Springfield VT. I can remember being there as a young kid. I couldn't tell you why we were there, nobody I know worked there, but nonetheless...

Anyhow... Does anyone recognize this as a known brand of indicator, that might be repairable by one of the many companies out there who do this? I'm pretty curious what it's purpose might have been, as it's not crazy unique, but not standard either. It needs a crystal, as I had to wipe it with glass cleaner and take a picture "wet" to get a picture at all, and it needs to be opened up and cleaned. Not the clockwork bits, but under the bezel ring is full of crap. I'm trying to decide if this is worth the effort, expense, and frankly, the risk of mailing it off somewhere for some needed attention that I just can't give it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230305_082808688.jpg
    IMG_20230305_082808688.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20230305_082850492.jpg
    IMG_20230305_082850492.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 55
The company made gear shaper machines. Perhaps it was designed specifically to aid in setup on one of their machines. Being in the gear business, they could have made the indicator in house. However, it may have been contracted out to an established gauge maker and had their name put on it as it was an accessory for their machine.
There is a company members here speak highly of "Long Island Indicator Service" that might be able to repair it. I'd reach out to them.

I'm with Ed, it was probably part of a Fellows machine at one time- not sure if it's worth putting money into
Keep it as a decoration is what I would do

No, but she is a beauty. I would have to use it at least once.
Most of the formerly heavy industry areas will have reputable instrument repair, look for an old one.
Most can service your indicator but the old timer will be happy to see it and get paid to work on it. It's the simplest pleasures...lol

@Jake M I would absolutely have it redone. That is a very sweet unit. If you decide to never use it we should talk.

Back