Does anyone know what these are for?

I'm not super familiar with that model, but it looks like your cross slide might be on the wrong way round.
Funny, I only looked at the red circled bits.... but now that you mention it.......

Brian

Those screws are normally quite challenging to unscrew...

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

I am in the middle of getting a 9" SB back up and running after it had been sitting for who knows how long, and it really isn't difficult, outside of time. Get one of the How to Restore Your South Bend Lathe books of eBay, and it will show you step by step how to do it. Not only will you be able to check on each part, you will gain much greater knowledge of your machine and how, exactly, it works.

The time issue is strictly on you, for, as others have said, it only takes a weekend if you aren't painting. Otherwise you are just waiting for parts, if you need any.

Yes - here is the thread on start of my rebuild. The kit is a link in the first post. The manual is well worth it.

My 9A clean and refurbish

You find stuff

All Done

There are probably more posts of me asking questions in the South Bend sub-forum. Lots of good info there from other people, and plenty of help if you get stuck on something. Just go slow and deliberately, don't do anything that you can't undo and it's OK not to do the whole thing all at once.

Like I said earlier, I didn't remove the handle on my cross slide and take apart the lead screw and dials for it. The spanner tool I bought for it wasn't sized right for my nut. The whole assembly is working fine and If i really tried to get it apart I would have mauled it up and made it look bad (at best).

Also had one taper pin that was peened over. I had to very carefully file the top off to get it out. stuff like that.

Good luck and be sure to post progress if you do it!

The two circled screws hold the apron to the bottom of the saddle. If you remove both of the same time the saddle may drop down and bend the lead screw.

haha I didnt even notice that! Yes thats not my lathe, just a picture i found, i can assure you that my cross slide is on the correct way :congratulate:

Yes - here is the thread on start of my rebuild. The kit is a link in the first post. The manual is well worth it.

My 9A clean and refurbish

You find stuff

All Done

There are probably more posts of me asking questions in the South Bend sub-forum. Lots of good info there from other people, and plenty of help if you get stuck on something. Just go slow and deliberately, don't do anything that you can't undo and it's OK not to do the whole thing all at once.

Like I said earlier, I didn't remove the handle on my cross slide and take apart the lead screw and dials for it. The spanner tool I bought for it wasn't sized right for my nut. The whole assembly is working fine and If i really tried to get it apart I would have mauled it up and made it look bad (at best).

Also had one taper pin that was peened over. I had to very carefully file the top off to get it out. stuff like that.

Good luck and be sure to post progress if you do it!

Thank you very much! i will definitely post up if i do!

Back