Does anyone know what these are for?

Threadkiller

Registered
Registered
Not my lathe, but its the only decent picture I could find of the top of the apron. I was doing some oiling and maintenance on my lathe and i unscrewed these and I dont see any real purpose for them.

Attachments

• south bend.png
    south bend.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
Not my lathe, but its the only decent picture I could find of the top of the apron. I was doing some oiling and maintenance on my lathe and i unscrewed these and I dont see any real purpose for them.

Those 2 screws hold your apron on the saddle. Very important screws do not remove unless you are taking the carriage apart.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I did a full rebuild (well really a disassembly and cleaning) of my 9A saddle and apron. While intimidating to take on it wasn't that difficult to complete. Depending on the condition of your lathe you may want to consider it. You will learn A LOT about what's going on in the apron.

Thank you guys. I just took one off to look to see if it was an oiling point. Ive always wanted to do a rebuild on my lathe, maybe one day when I have a second lathe. I dont want to take mine apart and be without one for a couple months while i rebuild

There is a good kit of felts etc. that you need along with great instructions. (It's in other threads on this site - I can provide details if you are interested). If your lathe is in semi-decent shape it really doesn't take that long to do and you don't have to do everything at once - unless you are really trying to do a "restoration" ie. paint etc.

I was able to completely dissemble and rebuild my tail stock, saddle, apron - everything accept the cross-slide handle (was working fine and did not want to come apart without messing up spanner nut) in 3 or four days tops. So a concerted effort but only 4-6 hours a day.

I did the headstock on another weekend.
I have not done the quick change gear box.

It was scary taking everything apart but well worth the effort to clean and get everything running smoothly. I fixed up a few minor annoyances along the way.

That said - it was a good 8 years after getting the lathe before I tackled it!

There is a good kit of felts etc. that you need along with great instructions. (It's in other threads on this site - I can provide details if you are interested). If your lathe is in semi-decent shape it really doesn't take that long to do and you don't have to do everything at once - unless you are really trying to do a "restoration" ie. paint etc.

I was able to completely dissemble and rebuild my tail stock, saddle, apron - everything accept the cross-slide handle (was working fine and did not want to come apart without messing up spanner nut) in 3 or four days tops. So a concerted effort but only 4-6 hours a day.

I did the headstock on another weekend.
I have not done the quick change gear box.

It was scary taking everything apart but well worth the effort to clean and get everything running smoothly. I fixed up a few minor annoyances along the way.

That said - it was a good 8 years after getting the lathe before I tackled it!

That would be great actually, thank you. I've wanted to replace the felts for a while.

I'm not super familiar with that model, but it looks like your cross slide might be on the wrong way round.

I think he said it was just a picture that showed the points he is talking about. Not his.

Back