Does any one have this Tool Grinder?

I have the Shars grinder in 5C. It cost $1100 to my door two years ago. While the grinder has some geometric shortcomings, I am amazed at how much I can do with it. I just love grinding bits and making tools. My only advice is to get all of the accessories: drill bit attachment, lathe bit attachment, and the linear/spin fixture. Without those, the grinder is good for d-bits, 4-facet dril points, and end mill faces, not much more. With the attachments, you are limited only by your creativity.

If you have a grinder set up for R8 or 5C collets purchase an ER collet chuck with an R8 shank or a 1" straight shank for use in 5C collets. That will save having to buy an R8 or 5C for every size tool you need to hold. Not sure but I think there is an collet chuck with a 5C shank.

Reactions: rwm
I have the Shars version. Bought it on sale, about $800 a couple of years ago. It came with all of the attachments and a few 5C collets. I already had a large set of 5C. There are some good videos on it or =. Stefan G & Robrenz have both done good videos. You can get additional wheel arbors from Shars but you have to call, not in their catalog. I've never used the drill bit attachment. I've made a few cutters grinding away half and off-setting. Mostly I grind my end mills, just the ends. The cheap Chinese diamond wheels & CBN hold up reasonably well. Learning how to setup for different operations takes some time.

Robin Renzetti reworks a Deckel clone to bring it up to his high standards.

Thanks for the video Bob! Very helpful to see the inner workings and all. Hey, how do you feel about a Deckel or clone vs a Cuttermaster 30?
Robert

Thanks for the video Bob! Very helpful to see the inner workings and all. Hey, how do you feel about a Deckel or clone vs a Cuttermaster 30?
Robert
I think they are limiting in a home shop that only uses that tool grinder. A tool and cutter grinder is a LOT more versatile, but also takes up more space. They can often be found for cheap, but watch out, without all the necessary tooling and fixtures they are also limited in what they can do, and that added tooling can get expensive and/or difficult to find.

Bob I think it is a trade off. I just sold my 1912 Cincinnatti Universal Grinder, 600lbs and 25 sq ft of space. While it did and could do an incredible number of sharpening jobs, most were not needed by me. I now do my sharpening on a good bench grinder and the Alexander 2CDG. That combination is enough for my needs. With some creativity and a few extra fixtures much can be done while not gobbling up an entire section of my shop.

Back