Does any one have this Tool Grinder?

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
i have one very similar.
it has suited my needs, but your needs may be very different from mine.
if your paycheck depends on the machine, i would plop down the extra dinero on a real Deckel SO machine
my machine has the deckel style collets, but other imports have the 5C or R8 systems

i would go 5C if i had to do it over again, the use of square and hex collets would be a wonderful advantage

IMO,
overall the machines are quite capable and would be a nice addition to just about any shop

This model uses the original Deckel style collets. Perhaps a bit limiting as they don't like closing down on less-than-nominal sizes. While you can get square collets in this style, as U D says it would be better to go R8 or 5C esp. if you already have those for other machines.
On the other hand, if you want superior quality then look for a Deckel SO or Alexander 2CG.
These machines are a lot more capable than they are given credit for. I have been happily four facet grinding drills and center drill as well as the usual d-bits and similar style tools. Luis Ally (on YT) uses one to make HSS lathe bits for a simple quick change system he devised. I use that style on my 10x22 lathe as well as a Taig.

I have one that uses the R8 collet. Mine is also 110v, the pictured one is 220v 1ph. Not only are the collets very expensive they don't even go up to 1/2" I HAD to be able to grind up to 3/4" shank. I too would have gone 5c but everything I have uses R8 and I have found a company that sells square ID R8 collets for a decent price. That machine has none of the other attachments either. Shars was selling the U3 with all the attachments with 5c and a better grade for close to $1k +shipping and offer support where I learned the hard way these eBay sellers don't. Much better deal IMHO if you can't find one of the other type tool grinders like a Darex or Gorton.

Thanks guys. I would really like a 5C setup. Would the Shars model be a better option?
Robert

Thanks guys. I would really like a 5C setup. Would the Shars model be a better option?
Robert
Be prepared to pay a substantial freight charge for the Shars version. $300 is what I was quoted, which was enough for me to cancel my order.

It does look like a nice machine though.

Reactions: rwm
Sorry if I step on toes. I have a similar one and I use it for sharpening pantograph cutters. And it’s ideal for that! BUT the machine has very limited capabilities! If you really want to sharpen stuff in your hobby shop, then I would look for at least a Cutter Master or similar. It’s light years ahead in capability. Possibly a little more money (depends on your shopping skills) but you can do sooooo much more with it!

Tell me more. What would the Cutter Master sharpen that this would not? I don't see me using drills above 1". In what situation would I need something heavier duty? There is a Cutter Master on eBay right now for $3K.
Robert

This Deckel is $1100 plus shipping. Why is it missing so much paint? What is this worth in your mind?

1576509249160.png

I'm gonna guess its not 5C. It looks to be about the same size and 'heavydutiness' as the U3 above? That's new word, kind of like truthyness.
Robert

Edit:
There are some cheaper Cutter Masters out there and some look pretty nice!
Robert

Last edited:
Deckel SO/SOE, Kuhlman SU 2, Alexander 2CG/2CGD and many Asian clones all use E355/U2 collets. Asian copies of these collets are, in my experience, good quality. But this style of collet has almost zero gripping range, nominal size material only. The original patent is from 1935 so long expired and much copied.
The grinder in the photo above is heavily used, paint eventually rubs off. US1100 is high, esp. if there are no collets and wheel hubs to go with it. Potentially a 3 phase motor, given there are 4 wires. Wheel hubs for the original non-tapered spindle are NLA/unobtanium, you need to make them yourself. The tapered ones might (or might not) be a match for the ones from Grizzly. Switching wheels without hubs is a recipe for disappointment and re-balancing/truing each time.

Back