Does adding weights to upper arm reduce blade life? (4x6 saw)

martik777

Active User
Registered
When I add about 2-3 lbs to the end of the upper arm it reduces cut time by ~30% but does this reduce blade life anymore than a longer cut time?

I can cut 1" round 1018 in about 2 mins with the weights 10/14 M42 blade.

Does it still cut straight?

I hang a 18" length of I/2" chain on my small bench saw. Cuts much faster than without and seems to have no detrimental effect on blade life. I do use thread cutting oil most of the time. Mike

IMG_20240104_104127835.jpg

It all depends on the type of blade you're using, the tpi, and the material you're cutting. A carbon steel blade won't take much additional down pressure without breaking off teeth or wearing them out. Bimetal blades can stand more down pressure and speed. I can't speak for carbide tipped blades. I don't use them because of the excessive cost.

Mt Startrite saw recommends 6 psi down pressure regardless of the material being cut. The only things that are supposed to change for different materials are the speed of the blade and the number of tpi. It's easy to tell when too much pressure is being applied. The head will start to chatter. If an excessive amount of pressure is applied the head will jump.

I haven't seen any down feed pressure recommendations on hobby grade machines. Some of the larger professional grade machines can take up to 40 psi of down pressure. Those are the 10 hp post or column style saws using 1 1/2" blades like the Amada, Alliance, Behringer, Cosen, etc. They aren't cheap in that most are in the $50,000.00 to $100,000.00 range new. You can probably pick up a well-used one for around $15,000.00.

I did the same as RJ. I have also seen a noticeable increase in blade life by decreasing the down force.

Ted

I’m also in the low pressure and low speed camp. I don’t stand around watching it and do other things while waiting for the clunk of the drop hitting the floor. My blades last years without getting stuck or having to run coolant. I learned long ago to let saws do their thing without me pushing them. No more broken or jumped blades and I got more done.

I’m also in the low pressure and low speed camp. I don’t stand around watching it and do other things while waiting for the clunk of the drop hitting the floor. My blades last years without getting stuck or having to run coolant. I learned long ago to let saws do their thing without me pushing them. No more broken or jumped blades and I got more done.
+1

Back