DoAll surface grinder 6x12

DAM 79

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So I cleaned up the DoAll grinder I picked up last week and did a light cuts on the Mag chuck started at 2 thou and then went down to 5 tenths at a time . Not to sure about this surface finish but this is my first time running a surface grinder
I dressed the wheel with a diamond first also .
Not sure if this is good or bad ?? But I definitely think there is room for improvement !!
Definitely a learning curve also as this is all new to me !!

Attachments

• DEA5CF2D-CAE9-41C0-B317-E9DAA2B1FA68.jpeg
    DEA5CF2D-CAE9-41C0-B317-E9DAA2B1FA68.jpeg
    251.4 KB · Views: 42
  • A21AB440-1B72-4D75-95D2-5AD1B6DA59A3.jpeg
    A21AB440-1B72-4D75-95D2-5AD1B6DA59A3.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 41
It looks good for your first go. The dark streaks are from heat. Run coolant or even mist to get rid of that. No real noticeable chatter so the spindle is good. Nice score it will serve you well.

Cutting oil is my blood.

There is a good write up in the DoAll manual (posted on Vintage Machinery - "DoALL Instruction Manual for model DH-618"). You need to be sure the bottom side of the magnet and table are clean and there are no burrs. Some people advocate grinding the table and the back side of the magnet. I chose not to grind the table and back of magnet, but did confirm a good fit. When you mount the magnet, be sure to use well fitted bolts (on my latest SG, the bolts holding the mag down were regular cap screws with the heads ground to fit the slot. Not good, make some bolts with a long head that fits the slot), also don't reef down on the bolts - snug is all that is needed.

I have ground in two magnets (similar style to what you have). The latest was on a Tos surface grinder, quite a robust and well reputed (3 axis automatic, , 27" of long travel, #3000) - a nice machine. In my experience, it was a fair amount of effort. I was taking much smaller depth than you. I found the material difference between the brass and the steel meant they ground quite differently, and I was needing to dress the wheel every 2 or 3 passes, and I was only taking 0.0002" per pass. If I tried to push it more than that, I was getting the burn marks (I have flood coolant, still getting the burn marks). I found that to get the burn marks out took about 0.0005".

I had about 0.004" of material to remove, it was a long process but excellent results.

Try running some kind of coolant, if at all possible, and back that depth of cut down to just a tenth or two. And lots of spark out passes. Fresh dress on the wheel before the last pass.

First passes, dress the wheel quite coarsely to reduct the tendency to make burn marks, when you have a cleanup, redress finely and downfeed in small increments until the finish if fine, coolant makes a huge difference in the process.

Thanks for all the advice I should of mentioned I did go over and clean the grinder after I set it in the shop took apart and cleaned and stoned the ways on it you could still see the factory flaking everywhere on the ways . So it came with 3 different diamonds to dress the wheel and they all looked the same to me but after doing some research apparently there is one for rough dressing the wheel and one for fine dressing .
I I did stone the table and bottom of the mag chuck . I did not grind it he table as it was within a few tenths but when I mounted the Mag Chuck that’s when I found it was 4 thousandth Low in the middle so what a great way to start to learn by grinding the chuck . And I was running coolant but after watching a few videos I think I did not have it adjusted properly. Lots to learn with this machine and grinding but I think it will be well worth learning!!

So I had some time today to play around with the SG some more with starting to grind the V Block flat and parallel and square. The flood coolant definitely helps a lot and I tried using the different diamond dressers that I have . This is the finish I have with taking it down .0002 at a time . I think I am starting to get a little better But have such a long way to go !!!! I can tell all you guys on here that this site is such an awesome place with so many knowledgeable people that will help and I’m glade I joined and are part of it !!
Practice makes perfect!!! I still have a Ton to learn !!!

Attachments

• DA7C0917-0A0B-4350-B002-FFAADFA220AC.jpeg
    DA7C0917-0A0B-4350-B002-FFAADFA220AC.jpeg
    367.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 0C0D070D-A129-4C6D-8D46-7CD18F06A287.jpeg
    0C0D070D-A129-4C6D-8D46-7CD18F06A287.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 15
Back