Do they make a 3" self centering chuck with MT2 mount for a tailstock

tackit

Registered
Registered
First, I'm new to machining so I hope I'm using the right terms.

Guys I have a 8" Lathemaster lathe that has a MT2 tailstock, I would like to buy a 3" self-centering chuck with a MT2 mount for the tailstock but looking can't find one so I'm thinking they are not available, Is that correct? What brought this up is my 1" chucking reamer has a 3/4" shank and won't fit my MT2 1/2' drill chuck. Thanks.

mt2 is a little small for a 3/4 inch tool i think. thats why its hard to find things with large capacity and a small taper. usually things with large capacity are meant for bigger machines and have larger taper or other mounting system.

you could machine the reamer shank to an mt2 and put it right in the tailstock.

Thanks guys for responding to my questions... But what does the below quote mean? I thought I would need a stationary chuck in the tailstock not one mounted to a live center.

"This precision Universal Live Center Body is designed for use with interchangeable tapered heads or with front mounting, self-centering chucks. All parts are made of steel, hardened and precision ground. All interchangeable parts can be easily replaced. Threaded attachment end and MT-2 tapered shank."

I was thinking about having the reamer machined to 1/2" but thought it might be to thin.

I also was thing about having the reamer turned into a MT2 taper by a shop, because I was told by a knowledgeable friend it would be hard for a novice such as myself to grind the taper properly. Thanks

Would this one work? thanks http://lprtoolmakers.auctivacommerc...3MT-inc-9-collets-takes-MM-IMP--P3058804.aspx

Here is my Lathe. http://www.lathemaster.com/LATHEMASTER8x14Lathe.htm

You could cut the #2 taper by setting your compound to 1.4307 degrees and take slow cuts with a good carbide bit. A 5" sine bar with a .1248 stack would give you the correct angle. A 2.5" bar would require half that.

Alternatively you could make an adapter with a 1/2" male and 3/4" female to fit your chuck and hold your reamer.

Dave

The collet chuck you linked to should work fine plus could it be used in the headstock (with a 3 - 2 MT sleeve) as a collet chuck.
The three jaw chucks with MT shanks are used to hold odd long work that can't be center drilled.
But in a pinch can act as a drill chuck. The adaptor sleeve for my headstock bushes down to MT 5, same as the tailstock. My 5-2 MT sleeve that holds my drill chuck was in the headstock here, so no way to hold a drill bit. But you have to hold the chuck to stop it turning.

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

You could cut the #2 taper by setting your compound to 1.4307 degrees and take slow cuts with a good carbide bit. A 5" sine bar with a .1248 stack would give you the correct angle. A 2.5" bar would require half that.

Alternatively you could make an adapter with a 1/2" male and 3/4" female to fit your chuck and hold your reamer.

Dave

I bought a 7/8 R8 Mill holder for my 1" reamer, the reamer has a 7/8 shank from ENCO, I could cut the mill holder down to 1/2 or maybe 5/8? I forget the size of the chuck, but at any rate that should be something I can do. Thanks all of you for your suggestions and help, I'll post back when I get it milled.

Back