Do I Need A $200 Combination Square?

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
I'm new to all of this and just getting my very old machine going, and getting the tools I need.

I've bought some "top of the line" stuff-- I bought a Kurt vise, for example.
And I've bought some less expensive stuff--like 19 bucks for five spot drills from LMS.

--So do I need to spend $200+ for a Starret combination square?
--Is there a good Chinese one? (I like to buy USA, but I also have a budget!)

Thanks,
Bob

Probably not for the average home hobbyist (brand new $200+) but they are very nice to have. I personally would buy a used quality one than a new China one.

I am with Will, as long as you check them, a used one is fine. Starrett, Mitutoyo, Lufkin, Brown & Sharpe, or even PEC. They turn up all the time here on craigslist. If you just need the square, the Starrett is under $100.00 new on amazon. The protractor head and the center can be bought separately later. The protractor head being quite useful.

Darrell

My Starrett combination square is the 2nd most used tool in my arsenal behind my Mitutoyo digital caliper. I have both the satin chrome 12 inch and 24 inch rules, I use the 24 inch frequently. I also frequently use my simple 6 inch machinist rule. I'm installing a DRO on my mill at the moment and I'm using all three on this job.

You can save a few bucks by just buying the square, I have never needed the Starrett protractor or center finder gadget. I have a separate precision center finder with a beveled edge which I like better.

Couldn't agree more with Will. From my own experience - by all means avoid cheap made in China measuring tools. You don't have to spend a fortune on top of the range stuf. Just buy quality, used tool and you'll never ever regret it. Money well spend and just a sheer pleasure to use them - they always perform as they meant to, they were made that way.

If I had to choose between the square, the center finder and the protractor head, I'd have to say that I use the protractor at least twice as much as I use both the others. I think this would apply at work as well as my home shop.
Gary

If on a budget , the Enco branded combination square kit is not bad, it is not Starrett quality for smoothness but it is accurate and way cheaper. What ever you do, do not buy a aluminum square. Even a cheap Chinese combo kit is worlds better than aluminum, squares...... there ought to be a law against them. I have a Starrett for the metal shop and the Enco is for the wood shop. Unless I want to do a alcohol bath my tools never migrate from metal to wood shop for fear of taking oil along and ruining a nice piece of wood. Nothing wrong with PEC, they make the Woodcraft branded squares, pretty nice and considerably cheaper than the big boys.

michael

Thanks to all of you for your help.
The expertise and prompt willingness of those on this forum to share their knowledge is great to see and benefit from!
Best regards,
Bob

Get and use tools you can be proud of, not to brag on. In other words, I'd look for a good used one, you might even try a pawn shop. Or Ebay.

I just bought a used 4 piece Starrett Combination Square--shipped for $115.
I probably wouldn't have done this without the encouragement of this forum-- I was worried I might be getting a precision tool that had been dropped.
--But I can return it within 14 days--so I'll just check it out against other square/angle indicators.
Thanks again!

Back