DIY steadyrest finger suggestions wanted

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Semi long story and background, skip down for my questions:
Couple years ago I needed to build a steady rest for my 12" Logan lathe. I got a piece of 1" aluminum plate, cut a 3" diameter hole, cut slots for brass 'fingers' and away we went. I used the on several projects with no problems. And the I needed to support a 4" diameter piece. I made the larger hole and that's where things got off track. The original hole I realized after enlarging it, was not on the centerline of the bore. At that point I realized I didn't have enough material left in the plate to get it on center and make it work.

So here I am making another steady. This time I'm starting with a piece of thick wall pipe. I'll make a base separate and weld it together so that it is on center.

But right now a question on which way to attach 'fingers' if you will. Here is the top piece1000002774.jpg I have plenty of meat for this. My first thought was to drill and tap for screws (I'll brass tip them). 1000002777.jpg

And then it occurred to me I still have the brass 'fingers' from the first rest. I could slot the pipe and use them.1000002776.jpg

So I'm asking for opinions and thoughts on which way to make it.

Semi long story and background, skip down for my questions:
Couple years ago I needed to build a steady rest for my 12" Logan lathe. I got a piece of 1" aluminum plate, cut a 3" diameter hole, cut slots for brass 'fingers' and away we went. I used the on several projects with no problems. And the I needed to support a 4" diameter piece. I made the larger hole and that's where things got off track. The original hole I realized after enlarging it, was not on the centerline of the bore. At that point I realized I didn't have enough material left in the plate to get it on center and make it work.

So here I am making another steady. This time I'm starting with a piece of thick wall pipe. I'll make a base separate and weld it together so that it is on center.

But right now a question on which way to attach 'fingers' if you will. Here is the top pieceView attachment 477702 I have plenty of meat for this. My first thought was to drill and tap for screws (I'll brass tip them). View attachment 477703

And then it occurred to me I still have the brass 'fingers' from the first rest. I could slot the pipe and use them.View attachment 477704

So I'm asking for opinions and thoughts on which way to make it.
Here what building as a replacement finger.

The pdf is for long fingers

Dave

Screenshot_20240131-175743_Drive.jpg

Attachments

• LONG FINGER (1).pdf
    43.1 KB · Views: 3
Not sure if I need them long. The spindle is 1 3/8" so anything smaller than that can de done close to the chuck. I think the steady will be for diameters of 13/8 to 3 1/4 ". So each finger would only extend in about an inch at most.

My lathe came with a homemade steady rest. It has thumb screws that move the bronze tipped supports. The supports have a lengthwise slot that rides along a dog point turned on 10-32 screws to keep the support from spinning and to lock them down once adjusted. If you want additional pictures, I’ll pull apart one of the supports to clarify how it’s made. IMG_1279.jpeg

I would slot the pipe and use the fingers you have made- those look great, probably took some time to make
You can always make more fingers if those wear out

Not sure if I need them long. The spindle is 1 3/8" so anything smaller than that can de done close to the chuck. I think the steady will be for diameters of 13/8 to 3 1/4 ". So each finger would only extend in about an inch at most.
The larger one is a 2½" range/radius or 0 to 5" diameter . Great for most smaller lathes.
The smaller one is for follower rest 0 to 1½".

You find on some projects you need a larger or smaller steady rest.
I would use the open frame like do on mini lathes as lot easier to build than hing type.
I have had make steady rest as big as 32" out steel.

On some types of you will need bronze tip steady rest. Like chrome rods. The roller type will live marks on the chrome or even remove chrome.

Dave

Back