Dividing Head With Lathe Chuck Question

ebgb68

Active User
Registered
I've been trying to get things together to make a three bolt spider for my lathe . My wonderful wife bought me a indexer for Christmas but now need a way to hold material.
After waiting three weeks for a used chuck bought on Ebay I find out fedex lost it. Before paying full price is there a better way to hold three inch stock on there ? Would a expanding collet hold the material tight enough ? How useful would a three jaw chuck be in a index, is it something I should have in my tool collection ?
Thanks Ed

Edit Don't play crazy eights with the wife and try to type on the internet .....

Last edited:
Not quite sure what kind of indexer you are speaking of here. A spin indexer? An indexing head like a super spacer? Or what? Also, what are you trying to make on it?

Edit: Are you trying to make an outboard three bolt spider for your lathe? If so, what size lathe and why did you choose three bolts?

Screw it Your not going to talk me out of more tools so i ordered the chuck.

Sorry yes I have a spin index for my mill and need a way to hold a 3" OD chunk of tubing . The inside diameter is 1.5" I believe and I need to drill three holes for set screws and adjustment bolts .
I bought a 5c three jaw chuck used for 40 bucks to make my part but it never made it . I was looking for another way to clamp the material in the spin dex but hell you only live once right ?
This is what I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/331114009913?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

So I'm not the only one who had FedEx rip off ,, lose there package. Mine was a 9" rotary table. I've lost all faith in them . .Your on the right track with your machine problem , you could make a mandrel to hold it. Depending on length as DV said you may need to block it up .

Everybody loses packages. Hell, I believe shipping companies expect to lose 6% of those big shipping container modules every year [some literally falling off the ship, misplaced or straight out stolen].

Everybody loses packages. Hell, I believe shipping companies expect to lose 6% of those big shipping container modules every year [some literally falling off the ship, misplaced or straight out stolen].
I know we ship UPS at work and have to handle the paperwork . What ****** me off is I waited for a used one to popup with a good price and THAT disappeared . I just bit the bullet and paid the price. Sorry about the venting I needed to do it somewhere .

The stock is about three inches long so it should be fine supporting it is simple enough to do. I need to read up on using the degree wheel to get three set screws equal distance apart.

Having been a owner operator in the 70s & again in the 90s and seeing the trucking/shipping side of it I can say in all honesty that if 60% of freight gets to its destination I am amazed. looking at the tracking info will give you a idea how many times your package changes trucks and swaps hands and not to say the distance it travels in 2 or 3 days. Very few takes in to account that at least 25% of freight is lost and damaged in truck wrecks, and sadly the drivers that died in them. If I had a dime for the accidents I've seen I would be wealthy.
looking at the docks/yards, OMG some are in the worst parts of the city and the thieves are working on them as day hires so they see what the best pickings are, its like a kid in the candy store. Just ridding on the interstate looking at all the rigs running on them is testament to how much is moved daily. So when I order something and it gets to me and in one piece, I do a happy dance :encourage:

FedEx may loose stuff from time to time, but not as often as UPS "which is pronounced oops". The postal service is even worse, from what I understand, USPS insurance is almost never paid, even when it is clearly their fault.

Regardless which shipper, heavy metal parts tend to destroy cardboard boxes. The box and part get separated and both are discarded.

Back