Dividing head size for Atlas Benchtop mill

fume happy

Registered
Registered
Hello,
I recently acquired an Atlas benchtop Horizontal Mill. It came with the overarm, arbor, support and a whole pile of stuffs. While I know there is an "atlas specific" dividing head, the impression I get is that they are in the same field with the Unicorns. I was looking at some BS-0 size dividing heads, but they weigh 40-50 pounds, and I didn't know if that would be too heavy/big for the little mill. My primary use would be gear and pinion making for antique clocks. Pic of storage trailer fresh Mill attached. Thanks!

Attachments

• PXL_20220907_014507381.jpg
    PXL_20220907_014507381.jpg
    480.4 KB · Views: 16
Actually, I think the Unicorn would be easier to find than an Atlas dividing head. Further, from the photos I have seen, it was/is quite limited compared to a BS-0 or a rotary table of appropriate size. Having an MFC mill, I have used a BS-0 from Grizzly to make small stuff. The machine is capable of handling the size, just barely. I have since acquired a small (4") rotary table with an indexing addition with fraction plates. And a much higher ratio, 72:1 I think. I had to make a "modified" mounting plate but it fits the machine much better. I have since acquired a (well used) Brown & Sharpes dividing head that has a lower profile than a BS-0 but larger than the 4" rotary table. It isn't ready to use yet, but looks like it will work well.

Back