Dividing head and rotary table

Alberto-sp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello

This is a rotary table

And this is a dividing head

For my inexpert eye the seems to make the same job (the rotary table comes whit se same chuck that the dividing head, or at least it seems the same chuck). But the rotary table has 2 positions, vertical and horizontal, and the dividing head has infinite positions.
The other diference is the price of course!

At the moment, I´m planing make some circular divisions, and probably gears. For that is enought the rotary table of the picture?

And for the future, what things can the dividing head do that are not possible with the rotary table? you know, to don´t say in the future, Oh no, I should habe bought that expensive dividing head, but I chose to eat! (or I chose to don´t sleep in the couch again)

Thank you

best regards

The dividing head is better for indexing positions like for making a gear. The rotary table is better at making circular cuts. While they can both do both operations they are each better than the other at what they do best. When it comes to tools if you are not sure which one you need get the one that is best for the job at hand and then get the other one later. Having both is better. momoney

Flyingfool is exactly right get both. Especially if you really want to do proper dividing like splines, gears, etc. some rotary tables have dividing plates but be careful and really check the specs and make sure it will get the divisions you need. A dividing head can usually be tilted as well for doing bevels etc. the more real estate on your rotary table the better except when lifting it. Small dividing heads with a matching tailstock can do most of what us hobby guys need. A small rotary will leave you wanting when trying to toe clamp parts. You can get great old USA or Japanese stuff are really reasonable prices in great shape since the CNC takeover. Just takes a little searching.

i have used many rotary tables over the years, mostly huge ones.
I am ashamed to say I’ve never used a dividing head.
I use a 6” rotary table in my home hobby shop.
maybe I need a similar size dividing head, dunno, I’d like one, although at my advanced years I may be too old to learn how to use it.
What the heck, i haven’t slept on the couch for a while…..

i have used many rotary tables over the years, mostly huge ones.
I am ashamed to say I’ve never used a dividing head.
I use a 6” rotary table in my home hobby shop.
maybe I need a similar size dividing head, dunno, I’d like one, although at my advanced years I may be too old to learn how to use it.
What the heck, i haven’t slept on the couch for a while…..
You are never too old!!! A nite or two on the couch will be worth it

Dividing heads are not hard to use. If you buy a used one make sure you get the plates. They are hard to come by.

Yep, for me it’s the 5C hex collet block, then the spin indexer, then the dividing head, and last the rotary table.

Edit: Umm…I forgot to say, you need all those things.
I dont have a hex collet block... so my goto is spindexer... so much so I had a bunch of indexing plates made for it for odd spacings.

During my formative years in the machine shop (early 1970’s at UVA’s Chemical Engineering shop, for those who have not been paying attention), the toolmaker dug out the dividing head once and I can’t remember seeing a rotary table. Sherline’s 4” rotary table has a tilting mount, footstock & 3” chuck available, but no dividing plates (since I have the table, mount & footstock I guess I’ve just identified another project). This table is a good size for Mini-Mills and with the dividing plates should be able to do everything a small dividing head can.

Back