Discount metals supplier?

I recently placed a order for a piece of 4" OD 6061 aluminum at Xometry.com
I couldn't find a better price anywhere, Very fast shipping and I even got a follow-up phone call!
Yeah great prices and cut to size! Thanks for the link.

I usually buy from Hobby Metal Kits.
My son has been buying titanium (strips) from Mcmaster and I was surprised at how cheap it was.

You can look at buymetal as well. They have decent prices and $25 flat rate shipping. When I am ordering a fair amount or some of the longer parts (the ones that online metals charges $80+ for shipping for) buymetal is where I go.

Just curious.When you buy a 20 pound "protobox" from onlinemetals, what percentage discount do you estimate you are getting? Also, and maybe more importantly, approximately how much do they charge to ship 20 pounds? I'm very new to the "metals game"...

Thanks,
Bill

Shipping is going to be almost as much as the protobox itself, about 18 bucks. The steel is mixed so it's difficult to say what the discount would be. I've generally found the protoboxes to be a pretty good deal, especially the 5-10lb ones. I once got a steel protobox that was mostly channel and angle iron, which wasn't that useful to me.

Been buying material locally these days. For some reason there's been a lot of it CL this year.

Just curious.When you buy a 20 pound "protobox" from onlinemetals, what percentage discount do you estimate you are getting? Also, and maybe more importantly, approximately how much do they charge to ship 20 pounds? I'm very new to the "metals game"...
In one of the boxes I ordered, many of the pieces had a sticker with the product code on them. I checked one of the larger diameter aluminum pieces (2.25") and the list price on it alone was approximately equal to the price for the proto box. I think you get quite a bit of metal for the money. But, it is only a good deal if you can use what you get!

I got a lot of flat stock and tube where I would have preferred more round bar for turning. I found out later that you can add instructions to your order. I'm not sure just how specific you can be with those instructions.

Craig

Going by memory it was about 50 dollars for the 20lbs of brass, than add the shipping. 1.75" brass round 11.5" that was the best piece. I did not know about instructions. I would buy another brass, not too sure about aluminium or steel. I can usually get free drops from work, Construction jobs.20190519_104150.jpg

Make friends with scrap metal guys. I have a couple I trade stuff with. I get to pick and chose when they stop by . They get old machines from me and random stuff collected over the years.

I really appreciate this thread fellas.
Excellent, on point, references contributed and some I NEVER would have found on my own.
I'm 'watching' and all references are bookmarked.
Thanks again to the OP and all the contributors. Keep 'em coming.

Back