Disassembly and Cleanup of a Sanford SG48 Surface Grinder

Very cool machine for a killer price! Just so you know, according the owner of Sanford, you could special order what speed you wanted the wheel to run at so there were a few options for pulley and belt sizes. Is yours a flat belt or V-belt? I cant tell from the pics. Mine is a flat belt and I had to make a replacement spindle pulley. You can get replacement belts from wmsopko.com or any vacuum cleaner store.

Very cool machine for a killer price! Just so you know, according the owner of Sanford, you could special order what speed you wanted the wheel to run at so there were a few options for pulley and belt sizes. Is yours a flat belt or V-belt? I cant tell from the pics. Mine is a flat belt and I had to make a replacement spindle pulley. You can get replacement belts from wmsopko.com or any vacuum cleaner store.

My SG is serial# 1602278 and was made in the 1960's. If you need any help with replacement parts or questions LMK. I have contact information if you want further details about the details of the machine. Message me if you would like that.

There are a few things that can cause the spindle to drop. I would check with a dial indicator with the machine off and running. The vibration along can cause it to drop. Also, as you mentioned, the motor mount is one but also (2) the backlash in leadscrew assembly, (3) the handwheel shaft bore, (4) , the mesh between the gears, (5) the thread tolerance from the bevel gear to the acme screw and (6) the clearance between the bevel gear and the top plate. I would check all of these and take note to their condition as they all play a part in whether or not the spindle creeps down. I have a replacement leadscrew and bevel gear from Mcmaster. I have yet to cut the acme threads as I need to order a special acme tool. These machines, as great as they are did not have the best covers in place to keep grinding dust from migrating its way to these key components. A little bit of dust goes a long way at chewing it up.

My SG is serial# 1602278 and was made in the 1960's. If you need any help with replacement parts or questions LMK. I have contact information if you want further details about the details of the machine. Message me if you would like that.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I forgot to add, this size grinding wheel is tough to come by. Set up a search on Ebay with alerts as they do come up now and then.

I got a flat belt replacement from McMaster Carr. Seems to have done the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the King scraping class in springfield on the top floor of a gear shop right behind the old Fellows gear shaper works. I agree, kind of sad. The owner of the shop had been a tech for Fellows and restores and modifues the machines for customers and makes custom gears. He showed us a gear shaper in action. I had never heard of one let alone seen one.

That is a very nice grinder. The legs remind me if an atlas 7 inch shaper base. The base and riser certainly are hoakey and have to go. Lots of iron left for you to machine and scrape the ways if required. I have a slightly larger machine made by delta but it has a few drawbacks. Yours looks ideal for a small shop. Im sure you will find all sorts of cool things to do with it. No you are going to learn how much high precision grinder tooling costs! Meet Mr Harig and mr. herman Schmidt!

Not to highjack your thread but there is a very early model on Ebay if anyone is interested. He is asking quite a bit, its missing the column sheetmetal covers and there's no description. The covers are easy enough to make. It has a mag chuck which is really hard to find and the wheel guard is intact. The fact that there's no description is a red flag to me but if someone can go look at it it might be worth it if it was maintained. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sanford-be...rentrq:fa93fb0c1740aa4852fb3c7dffe738b8|iid:2

That’s amazing. You can pick up much bigger grinders all over the place for $500 but this one is $1500 and likely has a ton of bed wear under that beautiful turquoise paintjob () and the handle shafts probably wobble back and forth 50 thou and the spindle sounds like a chain saw. I guess sellers realize that a small machine that fits in a basement is way more sellable than an industrial machine that you need a crane to move. Only hobbyists are buying, well, normal hobbyists, nit tom lipton or keith rucker! $1500 for that is insane. It would need 50 hrs of skilled work to make it anything more than a paper weight.

Back