dirt bike preload spring spacer.

MCRIPPPer

Active User
Registered
iv got an xr100 which is not the most adjustable bike on the planet. it has no preload adjustment and from the factory, it is set up for a rider that weighs around 100lb. of course the suspension droops too much when a bigger rider gets on. some people get a stiffer spring, but then the shock does not have enough dampening action. i decided to keep the stock spring and shock but preload it so it rides higher, and still has enough dampening.

here is the part i made to do it. it is split so that i can install it without fully compressing the spring and removing the shock. i just compress the spring about 3/8 of an inch and bolt this on. this bike now feels much better.

DSC09716_zps62fd775d.jpg

DSC09715_zpsaf24034d.jpg

the top isn't too pretty, since it is the raw finish of the piece i used. doesn't matter tho since it is going to be hidden by the spring.
looks alot better installed.

DSC09718_zps3488bdd1.jpg

DSC09719_zpsf6b878f6.jpg

i actually did all the turning on my mini mill. first i turned a disk, and sliced it in half. i milled the edges so they meet up. i then milled and drilled holes for the bolts. then i drilled and tapped the two holes in the plates so i could mount it to turn the inner hole. i rough cut the center with a hack saw and freehand milled a rough circle. then i bolted it together and mounted it in my drill chuck on a fixture and turned the inside to have a sliding fit on the shock body.

That's damn good work! Very smart way to improve a bike without having to pay through the nose fora spring.

thanks! it works great. the bike has at least another inch of clearance at ride hight compared to before. now i can ride over a railroad tie without casing it.

You could also make a longer suspension link to add to the over all seat height without changing the damping or spring rates. I put one on my sons CRF230 so he could ride a bit taller. At 6'7" he needed all the height he could get. Just sold both of my bikes. They pit a shunt in my arm for access to my artery and it is way too fragile to go blastung through the woods WFO anymore. One linb or snag and I would have a serious issue immediately. It hurt to sell my Honda and my YZ, but it was time and I didnt need any more temptation. I keep thinkibg I willl take the engine from my Ninja and build an enclosed long travel 4 wheeler with a cage and all of that but that is a project for later. I already have too many started that I need to finish before I start any more. Have fun and ride hard...
Bob

sorry to hear you had to sell your stuff. a go cart like thing powered by a big motorcycle engine would be awesome!

i have thought about making a new linkage. my specific bike would need a shorter link in order to lift it, since the link pulls on the other parts of the system. currently it is made of steel or iron. could i make one out of aluminum and not have it break?

I like it ! Just picked up a Honda CRF250X . It might need this mod.

sorry to hear you had to sell your stuff. a go cart like thing powered by a big motorcycle engine would be awesome!

i have thought about making a new linkage. my specific bike would need a shorter link in order to lift it, since the link pulls on the other parts of the system. currently it is made of steel or iron. could i make one out of aluminum and not have it break?

Maybe. Some AL is stronger than steel but since you don't know the hardness, temper, yeild strength (basically material properties) of the part you want to replace you need to be careful, that's a part you don't want to break.

Jim

Back