Direct tap handle mount

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Good morning, This is a manually operated tap handle that mounts directly to the 97D246CA-7913-4136-A70D-4760C6EBEE39.jpeg2C360B3E-D37A-4603-8747-516CFCFDE993.jpeg1D6A6BD1-EEDA-4CF7-956F-BB68B6D5165B.jpegchuck after you lock smaller taps in your mill or drill. One handle is stationary while the other slips threw the ring and into one of the chuck key holes and is locked in place so as to not launch when spinning the tap out of the work. Thanks for looking.

What I can't get my head around is how to get the chuck to grip the round shaft of the tap well enough to keep from spinning out. Even my best chuck tightened as hard as I can get it spins out on 1/4 x 20 in mild steel, sometimes in aluminum. I've been tempted to put my head to an adapter, but my Gearwrench tap head chuck has 3/4" stem, so I just slip the tap holder head into a 3/4" collet on my machines. It would be a lot more convenient to swap drill for tap when done drilling.

DanK

What I can't get my head around is how to get the chuck to grip the round shaft of the tap well enough to keep from spinning out. Even my best chuck tightened as hard as I can get it spins out on 1/4 x 20 in mild steel, sometimes in aluminum. I've been tempted to put my head to an adapter, but my Gearwrench tap head chuck has 3/4" stem, so I just slip the tap holder head into a 3/4" collet on my machines. It would be a lot more convenient to swap drill for tap when done drilling.

DanK
Hi, I have used this with 1/2"x 13 taps in 1/2" steel plate and to be honest I had to retighten. That said, using 3/8-1/4-10/32 taps I can hand tighten with no problem. Most of the time I'm only tapping through 1/4 or 3/8" plate using my Jacobs #36 chuck with no problem. Thanks for looking and for your question, hope that helps to answer your question. Charlie.

DanK

I routinely power tap up to 1/2-13 in both my Albrecht keyless and small Jacobs keyed chuck. The keyless has a habit of loosening on reverse, but otherwise no problems.

Everyone seems to do it that way. I like to hand tap so I can feel the taps reaction as I apply pressure. When I worked, If you snapped a tap in a piece of equipment it became a major problem. So I guess that's the reason I still do it. Taps are like drill bits and they have a life span. knowing when they are worn is key. Thanks

Back