Did I commit a stupidity? -Dead Center issue..

SonofHarold - Metal Carver

Registered
Registered
I was turning between centers to check and adjust my tail stock and when done saw small worn grooves on the point of the Tailstock dead center, maybe 0.020 deep right near the point. I noticed once while turning that the stock had some end play and I had to tighten it by moving the tailstock in, I thought I just failed to lock the tailstock tight enough. I had some EP grease on the point and otherwise, everything seemed fine. Is it just a crapy Dead Center or did I screw up? The Center used at the head end was 100 percent perfectly fine, and I ve used the dead center in the tail stock previously with no issue. Can I make use of the dead center or should I get a new one?

If you have a morse adapter sleeve that will allow you to pop it in the spindle you can always re cut the point.

It's quite easy to ding or over heat a dead center (or at least it is for me) , live centers are definitely worth having.

Stu

The dead center I use in the tailstock has a carbide tip.

Could the dead center have been an inferior quality?

All my dead centers are like that. I assumed they were meant to be recut regularly. But I bought a live center, and never used them again instead.

Could the dead center have been an inferior quality?
That was my first guess it was just mild steel I was turning, but wanted to be sure it wasn't something I did or should not have done? It is the center that came with my Weiss lathe. As was the one at the head stock.

When using a dead center, you really have to be careful how much pressure you put on it. It is a balancing act. Also, they do need to be relubricated fairly often.
Richard

When grinding , dead centers are neccesary to insure concentricity . White lead was used but outlawed years ago . Center saver was brought in and was used for years , they may still make it . When you're turning or grinding between dead centers you are creating heat and your piece grows in length . We would always lap the center holes to remove any rough surfaces , but **** would still happen and have to relap or swap out centers .

The center in the head stock is spinning at the same speed as the part so there is no friction, it will last nearly forever. My lathe came with one plain point and one carbide point dead center. the carbide one is for the tail stock where all the friction is. Because there is no friction at the head stock you do not need a carbide there.

Options are......
Cheapest choice is to just keep re-cutting the point on the soft center that you have now.
Cheap choice is to get a carbide point dead center.
Best choice is to get a live center.

Back