Did a little singel point threading today

firbikrhd1

Active User
Registered
I'm staying at my parents in the mountains while I build a home. I needed a good brush cutter to clear some property so I got a Grass Gator to use on my Dad's Shindiawa T-27 straight shaft weed eater. The problem is that the kit didn't come with the 8 MM 1.25 Left Hand Thread shoulder bolt necessary to adapt it to this machine. So...
Using my Dad's Atlas 10" lathe with Plain Change gears and the Atlas Gear Chart I geared the machine to 1.25 TPI, Got an old 3/8" Grade 5 bolt for stock, drilled a center in the threaded end, held the hex end in the 3 jaw chuck and shimmed until it ran true, put tailstock in place with center, turned relief at each end to the minor diameter for an 8 MM 1.25 thread, set the machine up for threading, compound swung to the left 29 degrees, threading tool centered and squared with fishtail gauge, lead screw to move carriage away from headstock, second to slowest speed in back gear. I used Tap Magic for cutting lube.

This is my first attempt at LH threading and first Metric on an Atlas lathe using their recommended transposing setup. For Atlas owners wondering if the 1:3000 error in the setup matters, it didn't in this case. Everything went together like it was factory made.

Here's the result:

LH Metric Special Bolt (Small).JPG Combo (Small).JPG

Ti bolts 2.jpg

Congrats! I just finished some Titanium engine studs on my Enco lathe. Was a lot of fun learning how to cut the Ti material. First time cutting threads on the lathe. I agree there is a real sense of accomplishment! I did finish cut the threads with some adjustable dies to get a snug thread fit! Bought the Ti nuts to match the studs.

Swiss

Ti bolts 2.jpg

Back