Diamond tool holder (tangential)

porthos

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
messagening Gary at eccentric engineering in australia. buying a tangential tool holder set. i have a southbend heavy 10 and use a aloris tool holder (A) size. he says that a 10mm (3/8) will work. earlier discussions,he said to get a 1/4 in size. i will be ok with 10mm; but will it work on the heave 10 and aloris A tool holder. any thoughts??

Did you measure your heights according to this page?

The bottom of the tool holder (AXA) mounting groove needs to be at least 9.5 mm below the centerline of the lathe as shown on the order page here:

I would mount the adapter (201-102) on the tool post and adjust to the center of the height adjusting screw. They recommend setting it near the lower end of the adjustment range. You can check both center and a lower setting. Then measure from the bottom of the groove where you set your normal tools to the centerline of the lathe. if it is close to 9.5 mm you should have enough adjustment of the tool 201-102 holder to get it dialed in.

P.S. I can't get these pages to display properly in Firefox Browser but they do work in Chromium and I suspect in Chrome as well.

messagening Gary at eccentric engineering in australia. buying a tangential tool holder set. i have a southbend heavy 10 and use a aloris tool holder (A) size. he says that a 10mm (3/8) will work. earlier discussions,he said to get a 1/4 in size. i will be ok with 10mm; but will it work on the heave 10 and aloris A tool holder. any thoughts??
Maybe he was referring to the tool bit size? All but the largest holders use 1/4” bits.

Last edited:
I believe it the size of the tool shaft that sit in your tool holder. I can't see it would change the cutting height all that much. They made the bit size in two sizes, and I have the 5/16. It a fine tool and I was using mine in a CXA holder on a Southbend 16 that I have just taken out of service for a band new PM 1440 that uses the bxa size.

Back