Diamond or Tangential Tool Holder

Doug Gray

H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
H-M Supporter - Commercial Member
I just picked up one of these Diamond Tool Holders, here is a video of me putting it thru it's paces.
Spoiler: I think this will be my go-to tool for turning facing and chamfering for the foreseeable future.

I'm currently in the process of making one for my lathe. I've never used one before so I'm looking forward to trying it. I certainly like the idea of a one-facet cutting tool ;)

got a left and right hand one, love them. Do you have the little jig for sharpening them at the correct angle?

Yes the kit I bought included the jig. After a little use I'm thinking now I need an adjustment handle for my tool post. 1/2" rod 6-8 inches long with a ball on the end, as apposed to the crescent wrench I use now. Nice brass ball on the end, so now I need their Tornado system. :)

I'm currently in the process of making one for my lathe. I've never used one before so I'm looking forward to trying it. I certainly like the idea of a one-facet cutting tool ;)
Very cool. I'm sure you have looked into it but just FYI the manufacturer recommends 8% cobalt HSS tool steel for the tool.

I made one of those a couple of years ago. They work fine and usually give a nice finish. One of the issues that I have with mine is if your cut is just a tad too deep, the force of the cut will push the cutter downward, thus spoiling that cut and requiring you to re-do the setup.

Yes it is possible to catch the tool and drive it down. The manufacturer says to be sure your tool extend out the bottom of the holder. If your using a short piece inside the holder serious damage can occur.

I just picked up one of these Diamond Tool Holders, here is a video of me putting it thru it's paces.
Spoiler: I think this will be my go-to tool for turning facing and chamfering for the foreseeable future.

Please , please, unless you sanded and polished the steel, don't run your fingers on fresh cut metal while it's turning... it could cut you like hundreds of shredder blades... sheez

Please , please, unless you sanded and polished the steel, don't run your fingers on fresh cut metal while it's turning... it could cut you like hundreds of shredder blades... sheez
Your right Woodchucker I shouldn't do that. Full disclosure I'm also wearing Croc shoes , long sleeves and a ring.

Back