Determining lathe speed with tachometer

corbinace

Registered
Registered
Greetings,
My Delta Rockwell 11x36 lathe is missing a crucial part on the speed indicator.

This machine has a variable drive similar to a snowmobile clutch.

I am a complete novice, so have to use the charts I find on the internet to set my speeds.
I am considering putting a tab of reflective tape on the spindle and using a hand held tach like you can get at HF.
Is this a viable plan?

A project in the pipeline includes reducing 1.25" 416SS to .729".
Do you have a special tip for this task?

I've been doing the same thing with my Seneca Falls machine for over 20 years. I use a Mitutoyo handheld tachometer like this. Over the years I've found dozens of other uses for the Mitutoyo

I have a Mach Tach on my Sheldon lathe. Unfortunately Mach Tach is no longer in business.

Great! Thank you both. I had not even thought of a permanently mounted setup like rwm mentioned.

Here are a couple pictures of the Mach Tach on my Sheldon machine. You can see the reflective tape and pickup on the outboard end of the spindle in the first picture.

Attachments

• DSC00013.JPG
    DSC00013.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00014.JPG
    DSC00014.JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 34
Here are a couple pictures of the Mach Tach on my Sheldon machine. You can see the reflective tape and pickup on the outboard end of the spindle in the first picture.
A picture being worth a thousand words enlightens even me. I do not have anything exposed on the rear but I do think I could put it on the back side on the large chuck securing headstock nut. That should be out of the way enough, I would think.

Thank you for taking the time to post the example.

Harbor Freight has a hand-held photo tach for $39. I've had mine for years.

Use it all over your shop drill press/mill/motors, etc.

Back