Destroying a "MYTH"

I was becoming enraged with Food Lion for selling such a sloppily quality controlled product. But they would probably just tell me that I could not expect better from a can of corn they were selling for 50¢ a can. I also encountered a twig of stalk in another 50¢ can of string beans. That was un nerving enough without the corn dilemma.

I have managed to get behind my 5' 2" wife and shove her over to the counter to sort the corn while I cowered down behind her. Sorry,I just could not man up to the task on my own.

Last edited:
How do you know that it was pure water that was placed in the freezer giving a slant to the top?

Something I had to dig for on the net. Ignorant questions that an apprentice would have told to them, but I've rarely seen in print:

Do not change a gearbox headstock speed (lathe or mill) while the machine is running.
Do not change the forward/reverse tumbler while the machine is running.
Do not power the machine on until you have rotated the spindle several times by hand.
Do not turn on the machine without verifying the power feed is disengaged, unless it must be engaged for threading.
Do not turn a machine on without safety glasses on.
Do not power feed up to a hard stop. Disengage the power feed and do the last bit by hand.
Do not power the machine on after engaging the back gear until you have rotated the spindle by hand.
Do not change QCGB speeds with the lathe running (unless your manual specifically states you can)
Do not engage power feed without verifying it's feedrate.
Do not power on the machine without verifying spindle speed.
Do not trust that you "remember" what state you left spindle speed, power feed, or workholding tightness if you leave the machine for any length of time. Check it again.

These are simple things, that alltogether take less than a minute to check, and any one of them can cause you or the machine/workpiece to be ruined. I left out the obvious safety things, as those are expounded almost daily here. Except safety glasses. Those are a must.

In an effort to get over the "afraid to ask" syndrome in my teaching I started handing out a sheet to every student in the last 3 mins of the lesson.
It had two questions:-
1, What was the most significant thing you feel you learned this lesson?
2, What area or part of the lesson are you unsure of.
No names or other i.d.
These were collated and used to start the next lesson, if there were a lot of "didnt get it's" then I would do a complete re-write of the original lesson for next time plus re-iterating the original information.
Both myself and the students found this to be very helpful and showed up the number of unasked questions that all the class didnt ask and got them more involved in the lessons.
All in all it was well worth the extra effort and I would suggest every teacher should try it.

Back