Design help, access door to move equipment

I once saw a shop that had a smaller people size door built in the large door. A wheel was mounted on opposite of the hinge end of the big door with a concrete raceway to carry the extra weight. A neat way to give one extra wall space. Just an idea.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My thoughts were to build in the access but not use it often. I think I am down to using either a removable mullion post between double doors, or a removable section of wall.

You will need a serious header to be able to span the double garage doors.

You will need a serious header to be able to span the double garage doors.

The opening would only be 8 feet or so, not that big a deal. Since the wall I'm building will only hold up the ceiling itself and not a roof structure, a double 2x8 header should be fine.

The opening would only be 8 feet or so, not that big a deal. Since the wall I'm building will only hold up the ceiling itself and not a roof structure, a double 2x8 header should be fine.

Sorry, misunderstanding. I thought you were spanning two garage doors.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. My thoughts were to build in the access but not use it often. I think I am down to using either a removable mullion post between double doors, or a removable section of wall.

My shop has double doors.3-0 x6-8 .No need for a removable or any partition stud. I nailed an astragal on the active door and installed two slide bolts, one on top and another at the bottom of the inactive door. Slide bolts keep the inactive door shut when only one door is needed. I bought two doors at HD ,lock for active door and push plate for inactive door. Dummy knob on inside of inactive door.
Astragal was a piece of wood 3/8" thick 2-1/2" wide,6'-8" long. If I recall the doors and hardware ran about $280.00 total. Doors were pre-fitted with jambs. I removed the head jamb and the lock side jamb. One of the lock side jambs was made into a new 6'-0" head jamb. I am a retired carpenter so this was an easy job for me.

mike

+1 on the barn doors

I have a 75x40 basement that I divided into three sections. The interior is my fully enclosed woodworking shop which has a roll up door in addition to the walk in door for equipment. The center is a rec room for the kids with ping pong etc (anything big is on wheels). This part is divided from the exterior portion by a wall with barn doors in the center. I built the door so I could get what I wanted without going broke. The doors open to 10' wide so I can actually back my pickup in should I need to. The final third on the exterior end is my metal shop with a garage door to the outside.

Probably clear as mud - I'll add some pictures after while. But the setup works great for me.

Hopefully the pics will load in the right order. The first two are looking into the interior toward my wood shop and you can see the roll up door. The walkin door to the wood shop is in the hallway. The next is 180 degrees and you see the barn doors. Finally with doors open you can see the metal shop mess and the exterior garage door.

Hope this helps.
IMG_2309.JPG IMG_2310.JPG IMG_2311.JPG IMG_2312.JPG

Back