Delta Rockwell band saw motor will not start

One of my all too many possessions is a capacitor analyzer, but yours is quite beyond its use; probably Grainger is the place to get a new one, or if there is a motor shop in town, they would likely have one; hopefully, the MFD value is still legible.
The analyzer was a gift from a guy that I used to work for, who had to sell/give away everything that he owned when he lost his shop and storage venue.

How do you know if they are oil filled?
This one had goo in it. It was all over the cover and the capacitor.

Oil filled caps have an all metal, sealed case, and are more oval shaped, start caps usually have a round black plastic case with Micarta end cap with a blowout disc near the terminals; yours is a bit different, having an aluminum shell with a cardboard sleeve around it. I have never (previous to this one) seen one blow out like that in the picture, usually they just quit working, or blow some smoke/fire out the bursting disc, which yours did not have, the whole end was a bursting disc!

Fortunately yes, 216-259 MFD.

You do not need to get a new capacitor with an exact 216-259MFD rating. Any capacitor around 180MFD to 300MFD with the same or higher voltage rating will do the job just fine. The bigger the capacitor (more MFD) the quicker the motor will come up to speed but the more amps it will draw while doing so. A MFD range is given (216 - 259) because the actual MFD will change based on load, voltage and temperature... so starting capacitors generally don't have a single fixed MFD value that they are rated at.

Or replace the motor with a 3 phase motor and a VFD and get rid of the starting capacitor all together while gaining greater control over the speed of the saw. (I would just buy a new capacitor!)

Back