Delta Milwauka Toolmaker Surface Grinder

mine came with a 5C holder for sharpening milling tools. it will sit at two different angles look like 5 degrees and maybe 15 degrees anyone have instructions on it use. it is also indexable for 360 degrees around the collet

Standard Enco (and many others) end sharpener. 24 indices, usually. Older design used an indent, newer ones are using a pin. Use: endmill in collet, set up one tooth, grind, index to next tooth, grind, etc. Setup:: you want the tooth to pass under the wheel as if you were cutting the wheel. Typically need several light cuts -don't go heavy, holder isn't that stable especially on the relief angle. Once you've done the ends all around, flip the holder to the big angle and grind the relief the same way. Note that this only grinds the ends of teeth. I've never seen one come with instructions, by the way.

thanks for your advice, I sorta gave it a try on an old useless end mill that was ground on the side for some special job I assume. the problem was it was a 4 flute that is more difficult and I made a mess of it. I will try what you say on a two flute and see how it goes. probably have a well beat up on in my pile of end mills

thanks for your advice, I sorta gave it a try on an old useless end mill that was ground on the side for some special job I assume. the problem was it was a 4 flute that is more difficult and I made a mess of it. I will try what you say on a two flute and see how it goes. probably have a well beat up on in my pile of end mills

Best reason to keep old endmills! Getting lined up so you cut TO the center, without hitting the flute on the other side, is tricky. Easier with 2 flutes. Run your wheel over a diamond dresser first, get that edge on the wheel as crisp as possible. These jigs are handy for a dull edge; not really very useful for a good general sharpening. Also, don't have an angle setting for gashing. Given the time to do a good manual recondition vs sending out & cost, I mostly send out when I have a cutter worth a full regrind. Which is not often.

That said, these old Toolmakers are great small shop tools. With a little effort and some fixtures, they'll do almost anything, and especially the weird custom things. Delta got this one right. And they're fairly cheap and available as old American iron goes.

I will be getting a diamond dresser soon. can you just buy the diamond and jus make up a quicky holder at about 5 degrees off vertical. I traded some stuff for hundreds of mill bits there are some bad ones in the bunch and some that where made into boring tools etc.

I will be getting a diamond dresser soon. can you just buy the diamond and jus make up a quicky holder at about 5 degrees off vertical. I traded some stuff for hundreds of mill bits there are some bad ones in the bunch and some that where made into boring tools etc.

Yep. I got a cheap diamond (brazed into a 1/2" piece of bar stock, essentially), Whacked off a piece of 2" bar stock, drilled an angled hole in it, added a set screw, and still using it 30 years later. Still my go-to dresser. Remember that how fast you feed it across the wheel will have an effect on how the wheel cuts (fast = open grain/faster cut, slow more closed: start with fast- a few seconds to cross a 1/2 inch wheel).

End mills make great boring bars. Depending on application, may not even need to grind the extra teeth off.

Back