Delta Milwauka Toolmaker Surface Grinder

AR1911

Active User
Registered
I bought this yesterday, trying to find out a bit more about it.
How can I determine the model and approximate age?

This being 2 colors leads me to think it was assembled from 2 machines, though I have not seen pics of any that are blue. The blue seems to be an original coat.

Seems to be in good shape - spindle is smooth and quiet. I'll play with it and decide if it's something I will use.

IMG_6060.JPG IMG_6064.JPG

That grinder appears in the Delta Milwaukee Industrial Machine Tools, Catalog AB-52 Form AD-698 April 1952.

Delta Industrial Tool catalog-26.jpg Delta Industrial Tool catalog-27.jpg Delta Industrial Tool catalog-28.jpg

Thanks, that is the same basic machine, but minus the Delta Milwaukee cast into the belt guard.
Is there any way to determine the manufactured date from the serial number?

Is there any way to determine the manufactured date from the serial number?

Serial Numbers: I looked at Vintage Machinery's machine registry page, but no body has posted the Toolmaker grinder.
http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=1141&tab=5

I was also looking through the patents they submitted but have yet to locate this type of machine.

Ok, I just found that your machine (with the correct casting) is also listed in publications from September 1943, but no serial numbers available. http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=5753

I didn't think to check VintageMachinery. Thanks for that info.
I checked the Yahoo group but they have no SN database.
I figured 1940s, sounds like that's in the ballpark

nice looking machine a just picked a similar machine about 3 weeks ago. yours is cleaner and I do not have the original motor or housing around motor. There is a lot of wear on mine from about 75 years of use and when I tighten the gibbs the travel gets tight on the ends but for the price I paid with some extra wheels and 5c milling cutter holder for sharpening it is a nice unit. oh mine has a stand that looks like it was made for the unit. made of cast iron. It took me for ever to figure out how to get the arbor off with the wheel. must be rapped with a soft hammer with the internal center bolt sticking out. no internal threads like others and then tighten a bolt. Vintage machinery had the manual that they sell on ebay for $8-$20 dollars just getting ready to purchase when I found it.

I got some extra wheels, including a couple of new ones. Haven't tried changing a wheel yet.
That stand under mine is one HD mother! It is 1/4 plate everywhere but the top, which is 1/2" steel, topped by a SS fitted cover. I bet it's as heavy as the machine. The seller almost backed out of including the stand.

If you join the Yahoo group they have all the manuals and documents you will want.

thanks I did find the yahoo groups for the grinder and joined that is how I finally found the impart paper work I needed.

I bought this yesterday, trying to find out a bit more about it.
How can I determine the model and approximate age?

This being 2 colors leads me to think it was assembled from 2 machines, though I have not seen pics of any that are blue. The blue seems to be an original coat.

Seems to be in good shape - spindle is smooth and quiet. I'll play with it and decide if it's something I will use.

View attachment 108454 View attachment 108455

Pre 1960s, obviously. Base been repainted, probably. Original motor? (3 phase) If you really want it to be really useful, you need both a Univise and the swivel table and centers. Good luck with the latter, they're hard to find. Univise shows up on ebay, don't pay more than 150 (lots of insane sellers who want 3-400, just be patient, don't buy junk). Read the manuals- you need a half dozen wheels, all readily available. If you've got a small shop, this is an ideal general purpose grinder: tools of any kind, small surface work. Fully kitted out, it'll do anything. Literally. Does require a bit of learning and skill.

mine came with a 5C holder for sharpening milling tools. it will sit at two different angles look like 5 degrees and maybe 15 degrees anyone have instructions on it use. it is also indexable for 360 degrees around the collet

Back