Delta 16 1/2” Floor Drill Press PROBLEM

Cr23484

Registered
Registered
Hi Everyone,
I can’t seem to get the motor to move to loosen tension on the belts so I can change belt positions. Even removed both tension lock knobs, and the tension lever will not move.
I don’t want to break anything by using a soft blow hammer and a screw driver on the frame where the motor is mounted.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
J

I would first soak the stuck parts over night with penetrating oil before tapping with a dead blow hammer. Some times heat from a heat gun will help. Just use care not to burn the paint. Go easy. If it doesn't come loose soak it some more with penetrating oil and give it longer to soak in. If your in a hurry you will just break it. Don't ask how I found that out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

I would first soak the stuck parts over night with penetrating oil before tapping with a dead blow hammer. Some times heat from a heat gun will help. Just use care not to burn the paint. Go easy. If it doesn't come loose soak it some more with penetrating oil and give it longer to soak in. If your in a hurry you will just break it. Don't ask how I found that out. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thanks,
But the machine is intact. I don’t want to take it apart, just trying to get it to move.
I bought this machine new, like 15-20 years ago, and it was always at 1500 rpm
J

Don't take it apart. Just put penetrating oil on the parts that are frozen and let it work. It may take a while ,but it should loosen things up. Let it sit and reapply the next day until things loosen up.

Don't take it apart. Just put penetrating oil on the parts that are frozen and let it work. It may take a while ,but it should loosen things up. Let it sit and reapply the next day until things loosen up.
Thank you !

While you have the tension lock knobs out (ie, removed), squirt penetrant into the holes. That's likely to get it in where it will do the most good.

While you have the tension lock knobs out (ie, removed), squirt penetrant into the holes. That's likely to get it in where it will do the most good.
I was going to do that, but I was concerned that the tension knobs may not hold due to the oil.
Thanks
J

I understand your concern. You can wipe off the posts and swab out the holes with a paper towel wrapped around a pencil. The thin film left will help prevent rust in the future, and tightening the lock knobs should easily "overpower" any lubrication. While you have the motor mount off, check that the posts have flats in the area where the lock knobs will push on them, so that the (inevitable) burr raised by tightening the knob doesn't prevent the posts from escaping.

Back