Degreaser help needed it burns

OT: I had a neighbor who was a moldmaker with a very messy shop. All kinds of crap piled around, stuff always in the way, with a series of narrow paths to different parts of his shop. One day, he was cutting some steel with an OA torch. He stepped wrong onto some "debris" and caught himself falling and as he did, he ran that cutting flame across his left palm.

I saw him after the fact and he explained what happened in great detail, including how he locked-up, got to his van and drove a couple miles to the hospital. I saw the dressed wound -- one of the worst things I'd seen up to that point in my young life. Thing is, he said after the ER visit, he headed back to his shop to finish what he had been doing. Amazing guy in many ways. An injury like that would have kept me in bed for days as I recuperated, mentally and physically.

Seems to me as the crustier I get, the more a de-greaser burns, the better product it just has to be... :) However I have learned to appreciate a good low-perfume, soothing lotion like Eucerin.

Not to chide anyone, but the comment on not "having a top-end lathe with way wipers" caught me.
A strip of stainless shim stock, some brass shim stock underneath, tin snips and punch or drill holes in. Drill and tap carriage; Viola!
There are many metallic wipers; long enough to bend from vertical to plane of ways, like a putty knife. Leave a little brass exposed, covered by the stainless acting as a spring. Put felt behind brass if you like and saturate periodically with way lube oil.
An easy alternative is thin aluminum strip, ~1/8" to 3/16" as holders for brass strips or combine with felt.
Either way, while set up and confident in results, make spare strips.

The 'obvious' choice of rubber is a higher order of difficulty, those need beveling to get 'under' chips, are commonly molded.

Back