Deciding On A Plasma Cutter

I have been told by some industrial Plasma cutter users, that the Thermal Dynamics torches get more milage out of the consumables than other brands.

Moisture in the air supply greatly shortens the consumable life and can degrade the material near the cut.

Welding machines with circuit boards are extremely expensive to repair and the repairs may be short lived if the root cause not identified.

I settled on the Eastwood Versacut 40. After checking out all of the others and reading reviews I went with it. The big selling point was the 3 year warranty. Should be in sometime next week so I'll snap some pics and let you know how good it does.

As for plasma cutters...One name...Hypertherm (made in USA). Their Powermax 30 is great for sheetmetal and will cut thicker if need be (up t0 1/2"). Next step up is the Powermax 45 (which I have) and it will cut up to 3/4". They have a great customer service also.

If I was needing one for everyday use in a job, maybe. But again as I said at the start, this is just for occasional use and I did not want to spend over $600. Some of you just don't get it. Not everyone needs the biggest and best to do a job. Look at what mark builds with his smaller machines and you'll see what I mean. And again, just because it says Made in USA, does not mean the components are made here also. Look inside one of your $2000 Made in USA cutters and I'll bet you'll find it says Made in China or Taiwan.
Ok, done with my rant now.

Well...You feel better now? All Im going to say is, in MY experience (I'm 60), the quality tools that I have bought over the years are still in use today...maybe repaired over the years (parts still readily available) but, still working WELL. A wise friend told me years ago "cheap is expensive". You may have to look harder today to find "quality tools" and they may not be "100%" made in USA but, they are easier to find parts and service and will give you many more years of use, and you can still find them if you look.

Last edited:
By the way...Hypertherm IS made in the USA. Facts before Rant...

Last edited:
My Chi-Com plasma/stick/TIG still works for me when I need it to.

My 'Merican made plasma is still the same POS it was when I bought it.

$500 and it has now lasted nearly twice the initial warranty period...

I bought a used 'Merican made plasma that after the third or fourth trip to be fixed, it is now an expensive door stop. Part of why I buy new if it something I truly need to have work immediately after purchase.
So...it was used...not sure what was done to it before you got it?
Hmmm... and the "Chi-Com" lasted" twice" the initial warranty period...wow!...let me know when your still using it 15 years down the road...then you can brag about it.

Eastwood 230 volt I'm pretty sure they are made by Hobart. It cuts anything and used all the time.
my boys do a lot of truck chassis 'big trucks' works perfectly...

So...it was used...not sure what was done to it before you got it?
Hmmm... and the "Chi-Com" lasted" twice" the initial warranty period...wow!...let me know when your still using it 15 years down the road...then you can brag about it.

Dude, did you not read that it has been "repaired" several times?

The warranty period for the Longevity is FIVE years.

Thank you for your permitting me to brag about my plasma cutter. How could I have survived wihtout your permssion to be pleased with a tool that has earned me thousands of dollars.

Back