Deciding On A Plasma Cutter

The warranty period for the Longevity is FIVE years.

"LONGEVITY WELDING OFFERS THE INDUSTRY'S BEST WARRANTY ON WELDING EQUIPMENT WITH WARRANTY UP TO 3 YEARS* on both parts and labor on select plasma cutters, welders, and multiprocess welding equipment. Please check the terms and condition for important information on the warranty. LONGEVITY understands the importance of quality in our welding equipment, and we are confident to put our welders to the test by allowing hobbyists, professionals, and enthusiasts try our equipment all over the world. We are confident in our products and would welcome you to try LONGEVITY Welding."

Copied off of Longevity's Site (4/19/16). You got a great deal with a 5 year warranty.

"LONGEVITY WELDING OFFERS THE INDUSTRY'S BEST WARRANTY ON WELDING EQUIPMENT WITH WARRANTY UP TO 3 YEARS* on both parts and labor on select plasma cutters, welders, and multiprocess welding equipment. Please check the terms and condition for important information on the warranty. LONGEVITY understands the importance of quality in our welding equipment, and we are confident to put our welders to the test by allowing hobbyists, professionals, and enthusiasts try our equipment all over the world. We are confident in our products and would welcome you to try LONGEVITY Welding."

Copied off of Longevity's Site (4/19/16). You got a great deal with a 5 year warranty.

I bought mine in '07 through a special deal to Pirate 4X4 members (yes, I'm one of THEM, and even pre-Charlie Wenzel :fo2:). I got the special pricing and at that time, the warranty was five years.

Regardless, if it is three years, I'm well on my way to it lasting through THREE times the warranty period, er, four times!

I had an issue recently after a period of non-use... I went through all of the usual suspects, reset the air gap, etc. Turns out the electrode that had been used pretty heavily had corroded and wasn't as conductive as it liked. New consumables and Bob's my dad again!

Speaking of Pirate 4x4 Back in the mid 2000's all the rave was this new plasma cutter that hit the market from Parker Metalworking. I ended up buying one too. I paid the 50 bucks extra to turbo charge it from 40 amps to 50 amps. Well after 10 years of use its been great. This is right in line with the OP's budget.
http://www.parkermetalworking.com/

Look what I found on my front porch Saturday!

Hooked it up and tried it out on some 1/4" plate. 60 psi, 30 amps, it went thru it like butter. Nice clean cut that looks like I cut with cutoff disk. What slag there was on the back side came off by running edge over another piece.
One thing is it has a 20" torch lead but a 10' ground. Now that didn't make much sense to me. So I will be replacing it with a 25' #2 AWG ground lead soon.
I am very happy with it. Cut up some more steel I had out in the scrap pile I needed for a project and it all cut easy and clean. None of it was clean by no means. Rusted or old paint on it. Scratched ground clamp on it to get a semi clean spot and started cutting.

upload_2016-4-24_20-0-54.png
upload_2016-4-24_20-8-51.png

upload_2016-4-24_20-0-8.png

Great to hear your results with the Eastwood unit. This is the unit I've also been looking at for a couple projects I have and now they have a package deal with their 200 amp AC/DC Tig Welder that I may jump on while it lasts.
I've been reading the reviews on the Eastwood machines on several different sites and I don't think I've ever read a bad review. Also, their customer service seems to be second to none by the reports I've read.
Have you tried it on heavier material? I believe I read earlier today it is rated for 3/8" steel. I'd like to know if it would handle cutting 1/2" steel plate in a pinch.

Bob

Back