Dead-Center with no taper?

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
I would like to have a dead-center I can put into my 3-jaw chuck... But seems every one I look at has a taper only. Is there any with no taper that are common? Or perhaps a sleave to un-taper a dead-center?

I know i could probably just turn a piece and add a point myself easy enough, but I would like a professional made dead-center I can put in my chuck. Maybe there is a specific name for these and why I am looking in the wrong place?

It is very common too make your own center for use in the chuck. Get a fish-tail gage to check the 60 deg. included angle.
It does not even have too be hardened.

A center you put in a 3JC must be cut in place to be concentric with the spindle. Once you un-mount it and mount it again, you will need to re-cut it to align with the spindle centerline. This applies whether you make it or someone else does. Best to just make your own.

I just make them as needed. Sometimes they get accidentally tossed in the recycle pile -so I repeat step #1 (make them as needed).

Is this just to prevent you from removing the chuck? I mean, I am confused as to why you would want a center for a chuck.

Is this just to prevent you from removing the chuck? I mean, I am confused as to why you would want a center for a chuck.
If nothing else it assures that your center is running true. I have some dead centers that aren't in real good shape.

I use a center in the chuck of my old Seneca Falls machine on a regular basis. The spindle only has a 3/4" through diameter, so any longer pieces larger than that diameter I turn between centers.

I mean, I am confused as to why you would want a center for a chuck.

There are a few situations that come to mind. One I was thinking about, was if I am going to polish an item, I would like to have a dead center in a chuck, and a live center on the other side so I am free to use emorycloth on the whole item without risking it getting scuffed up by jaws or anything else. I also happened to see someone else doing just this while polishing aluminum on their lathe, so it seems I am correct in my idea on this approach?

I use a center in the chuck of my old Seneca Falls machine on a regular basis. The spindle only has a 3/4" through diameter, so any longer pieces larger than that diameter I turn between centers.

Woah! Isn't that machine ancient? I always wondered if that company really was located in Seneca Falls New York, because I live close there and have driven through many times. I think it's cool that there MAY have been a lathe factory there at some time. Too bad times have changed and US companies outsource their jobs over-seas to save a buck.

Back