DC controller for LatheMaster LMT 25 Mill

BH_N0mad

Registered
Registered
I think my motor controller is about to go. It will not keep RPM's under a load, if I have it set at 500 rpm and get just a little bit of a load it will jump to 800 rpm or more and will blow the line fuse very easily. Do you know what the best controller that will work for this mill? I don't know if I should use the controller from LathMaster or get a different one.
Thanks
Tim

It is just out of warranty so I am on my own. I ordered a controller from Surplus Center the Minarik SCR speed controller and am going to try that one. I am a little weary on getting the same old thing as far as quality. This one is the same size and looks to be a little better quality. There is a big heat sink that comes with it so I will need a little modification to make it fit.
Thanks for the feed back
Tim

I put in the Minarik MM 23001C SCR controller with the extra heat sink in and it holds speed quite well while cutting, it is a little jerky on start up but I might be able to tune that out. I had to put the heat sink on the out side of the control box as it was to big, I put took the paint on back cover off down to the metal and put a generous portion of heat sink compound on both sides, the controller and heat sink side and seems to work ok.
I have some cast iron to cut and will see how it works under max load.
Tim

Sorry I can't offer advice for your problem, but I would like to ask you about your experience with that mill (beside the motor controller issue). I'm looking for a small mill for a home shop. I'm looking to mill some small to medium sized mechanical parts. I need something that can remove some material, even in steel and stainless. I'm a tool maker in exile. I was in the trade many years ago, and I became spoiled by being able to make most any part I needed. It's time to get that back, and a mill is where I want to start. I know a benchtop won't be a Bridgeport or Cincinnati, but I need something with a little more beef in the frame than someone who is making scale models. I'm looking for opinions before I pay to ship something as heavy as the LMT 25.
This model sounds like my solution at a great price. Please tell me what you've used it for and how well it performed.

Thanks,

Roger

Back