Dayton 3/4hp Bench Grinder

Twalther

Registered
Registered
Anyone happen to know if this grinder 4z909c has a centrifugal switch?

Tom.

I don't know. That said, I have never seen a bench grinder that size that does have a centrifugal start switch. Not really needed because of the low starting torque. Many grinders do have capacitors, but they are run capacitors, no cent. switch...

I don't know. That said, I have never seen a bench grinder that size that does have a centrifugal start switch. Not really needed because of the low starting torque. Many grinders do have capacitors, but they are run capacitors, no cent. switch...
The thing is that it will start if I spin it, and it does have a cap but I was thinking it was a start cap.

Tom

The thing is that it will start if I spin it, and it does have a cap but I was thinking it was a start cap.

Tom
A capacitor run motor with a bad cap will usually get going if you spin it. It won't have full torque. What does the capacitor look like?

OK guys; this grinder does not have a centrifugal start switch. I tore it down and that is OK seeing the bearings have suffered brenilling from out of balance wheels. This is just f0r you info if you have one of these. Now to find the correct capacitor for it.

I have an 8" Dayton Grinder and had to replace the capacitor after the starter circuit hung on. I bought that way at the flee market for cheap. Attached is the manual for mine that I previously downloaded. I ordered the following capacitor from eBay and it is running great.
[AC 125V 200uF 200 MFD 2 Terminals Motor Run Start Capacitor]

Attachments

• Dayton-Bench-Grinder 2LKR9.pdf
    366.8 KB · Views: 9
OK, you have confirmed that the grinder does not have a start switch. In that case, yes, you likely need a new run capacitor. The files gwade posted shows start switches for all models, must not be what you have...

The thing is that the grinder I have is a 4Z909C grinder, I have not been able to find a manual for it. I picked this up for $25 thought I would take a chance on it for that.

Back