dating an older south bend?

The only way to identify the model from the serial number when the lathe is that old is to contact Grizzly. Here is where you can order the information :

http://www.grizzly.com/brands/south-bend-lathe/serialcard

It may take a while. In the previous links sent there is an example of what you would receive. That serial card should list a model and bed length designation. From that model information you receive from Grizzly, we should be able to help with more information, or you may find that on the vintage machinery site in the old South Bend catalogs.

Dave Paine is right on when it comes to the spindle, if that is all you need to know. I do not know if you also received the change gears, or anything else with it. If you did, you scored a nice piece of machinery.

Again, model information can come from Grizzly and will likely be the most helpful. To me, that was a very valuable $25.

Are you sure that's a South Bend? It looks more like one of the Wards/Logan models (tapered roller bearings in the headstock)
MS

I was wondering the exact same thing.... Look at this video from Tubal Cain. It shows his Logan and it looks just like it! Go to 1:56

Ted

I posted this search in another forum and I got the same info that it was a mon/ward model and when I gooogled images of that its identical.... the guy I bought it from said it was a south bend and I took his word for it... first lathe didn't know any better anyhow thanks for the info....and if anyone has any information on these ...id appreciate it...

this is my first lathe I was hoping to hear I had found a gem but it sounds like it could be an antique... any info you people can give me on this model I would appreciate.. I need to get the 4 jaw off and get my hands on a 3 jaw? but I don't know what size or type to buy.... as I said im new to all this but ive been needing a lathe in the shop for a long time so im hoping this is at least a usable machine
Logan makes a great lathe. I do not see a QCGB in your picture. Did your machine come with any change gears? Accessories?
That can really add to the cost of lathe owership. Congratulations on your new machine.

no quick change, came with a 4 jaw no 3jaw though... face plate a few dogs, few cutting tools, drill chuck for the tail stock, and quite a few loose change gears, not sure if there all there or not....until I get a model on this its hard to know!

ive reposted this in the logan section still hoping for more info on this

no quick change, came with a 4 jaw no 3jaw though... face plate a few dogs,

If you have a faceplate then you can measure the diameter and thread so you would know what to look for if you want to purchase a 3 jaw chuck.

I'd like to take the 4 jaw off...whose to say the face plate fits on there or its something that was collected with the lathe over the years... anyhow I gotta look into how to take it off then I can look into 3 jaws...

Back