Daredevil 'Mad' Mike Hughes dies in homemade rocket launch

I don't really see the tragedy, outside of the tragedy entailed in any loss of life. The guy was avowedly anti-science and a flat-earther, yet thought he could build a rocket sufficiently powerful to get him into space. This outcome seemed pretty inevitable from the get-go, and it's fortunate that nobody else got hurt due to his recklessness.
It is a pity that he couldn't make it into space. He would have a hard time explaining the planet rotating under neath him. Perhaps if enough of the conspiracy theorists made the trip, it might end the flat earth nonsense once and for all.

I'm not so sure the guy was really a flat earther, I think he was just playing them for money. That said, even though they are idiots, it doesn't mean it's right to scam them. Stupid people have a hard enough time in life already, without people scamming them all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: rwm
It is a pity that he couldn't make it into space. He would have a hard time explaining the planet rotating under neath him. Perhaps if enough of the conspiracy theorists made the trip, it might end the flat earth nonsense once and for all.

The problem is, if you take a flat earther and put them in orbit, they'll just close one eye, look down at the earth, and say with vindicating confidence that they see a flat disc. Nothing proven to the mind that is already convinced.

Back