Dad's Watch

Gaffer

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Dad was an electrical engineer in the Air Force, starting out as a navigator during Vietnam. He retired after 20 years and did another 20 with TRW. Long story short, a few weeks ago, Mom gave me his watch - a cool Glycine Airman he bought in the late 1960's. My Suunto watch crapped out on me, and I was considering a smartwatch, but they don't do it for me, so Mom's timing was perfect. I picked it up today after having the watch dude go through it. When I dropped it off, he said a black leather band would make a nice contrast. He wasn't in when I picked it up. The band looks nice, but I will have him put the original stainless flex band back on for now. He also suggested engraving Dad's name and date when he bought it and my name and date when I got it. When I pass it on to one of my sons, he can engrave his name. It sounds like a neat idea, but I'll think it over.

Glycine.jpg

Do you know the age? Is it from the original Glycine company, or after Swatch bought them out?

There is an incredible storied history within the Swiss watch community. Now a days, though, it's watered down.

No question though: automatics are cool!

What a great story. Thank you for sharing.

Do you know the age? Is it from the original Glycine company, or after Swatch bought them out?

There is an incredible storied history within the Swiss watch community. Now a days, though, it's watered down.

No question though: automatics are cool!
Circa mid 60's is the best I can do, and yes, original Glycine, now owned by Invicta.I hadn't heard of them, so I read about them. A very cool history. My watch dude immediately recognized it and repeated its history and I knew I brought it to the right place. Thanks

Back