D1 chuck mount, First lathes to use ??

metalmole

Active User
Registered
I have been thinking about finding a small lathe to restore, but would like to find an older one with a D1 type chuck mount, question is does anyone know what were the first lathes to use the d1 mounting system...

I have been thinking about finding a small lathe to restore, but would like to find an older one with a D1 type chuck mount, question is does anyone know what were the first lathes to use the d1 mounting system...

The D1 type cam lock spindle nose dates from the mid 1930's. This type was first described as a standard in 1936 in the first edition of "USA Standard Spindle Noses B5.9" I got this from the foreword of my copy of the 1967 revision of this publication. Monarch may have been the first to use this spindle nose. Some unpublished history I have of the company says they used the D1-6" on their 12 through 18 inch lathes (and the D1-8" on their 20 through 36 inch machines) starting in 1935; thus pre-dating the publication of the standard.

And I expect Pratt & Whitney was an early user. Also in the April 5 1939 issue of American Machinist there's a Hendey ad showing their 18" gear head lathe with what looks like a cam lock spindle nose. So far we're not really talking about small lathes here. The Monarch 10EE, designed in 1938 and first delivered in 1939, had/has a 3" Type D1 spindle nose. And the Hendey tool and gage makers lathe also had a cam lock spindle nose. These are "smaller" lathes but maybe not as small as you have in mind.

The South Bend heavy 10 may have been about the smallest lathe to have a type D1 spindle nose. The D1-4" became standard on this machine somewhere between 1972 and 1977 (the dates on two brochures I have, the earlier showing the threaded nose as standard and the later showing the cam lock as standard). But this spindle nose was available as an option earlier; it's shown as such in my 1966 South Bend catalogue.

David

Thanks for the reply Dave, guess I will be looking around to see what I can find...

Holbrook in England were early.adopters of the.D1 camlocks this side of the pond, they made a few 'smaller' toolroom lathes, 8" swing was about the.smallest - rare as rocking-horse droppings BOTH sides of the Atlantic, but truly superb machines, way ahead of the.times.
Should you be.lucky enough to find a.C8 Electronic or a Minor, you'll need serious lifting equipment - as a clue, my 'project' C13 (13" swing x 28") weighs a smidge over 4500- pounds compared to a Chinese 13x40's 1000 - 1500 or so (and.don't I know it, got to load it on a trailer for a move tomorrow...

Back